Ch 19: A Cold-Hearted Understanding

Olivia walked into the kitchen at 6am a week later. The last week had been a little awkward between her and Alastor, but she tried to act as if nothing happened. Today, she actually beat Alastor to the kitchen, for once. She couldn't sleep and didn't want to lie in bed anymore, so she got dressed and went to get a head start on prep. When she entered, she saw Charlie wondering around.

"Charlie? What are you doing here this early?"

Charlie had her hands behind her back and walked up to Olivia.

"I just wanted to see how you guys were doing. I haven't seen breakfast being made in a while and thought I should check you guys out." She batted her eyes innocently.

Olivia put her hands on her hips and cocked an eyebrow.

"Oh, is that all?" She questioned, remembering the week before.

Charlie bounced on her heels. "Of course not. I wanted see if I could catch you alone before you guys started cooking so I could interrogate you."

Olivia shook her head. "There is nothing to interrogate me about."

Charlie tapped her chin. "Oh really? A certain romance with a powerful demon comes to mind."

Olivia sighed, "Charlie, I know you mean well, but there is nothing to talk about. No romance, no relationship, nothing."

Charlie wasn't put off. "Oh, come on! I saw the way you looked at each other last week. You are going to tell me you feel absolutely nothing for him?"

"It's not like that." Olivia mumbled as she rubbed her temple.

"Come on, Olivia. I just want to hear you say it, then I'll leave it alone."

Olivia doubted that. "Hear what?"

"I want to hear you say that you love him!" Charlie threw her hands in the air.

Olivia sighed again. "So if I say it, you will drop it?"

Charlie nodded enthusiastically. Olivia let out an exasperated sigh as she looked up at the ceiling before looking back to Charlie.

"Alright Charlie. I admit it, I am in love with Alastor. Happy?"

Charlie bit her lip and bounced on her heels, squeeling. Charlie froze suddenly, glancing behind Olivia. She heard the door to the kitchen swing shut. Olivia's eyes widened, and she froze. Every fibre in her being told her to run and not look back. She slowly turned with eyes filled with fear. There, standing at the door, was a stunned Alastor. Gods, no. Alastor's face became unreadable, and he walked out the door. Olivia watched the door shut and for a few moments, she couldn't move, then she whipped her head to Charlie.

"Dammit, Charlie! Do you know what you have done!?" She cried.

Before Charlie could answer, she bolted out of the door to find him. She had to make this right. It took her about 20 minutes before she found him standing on the balcony over the entrance. She took a deep breath as she opened the glass doors. She walked onto the balcony. He didn't even glance over his shoulder at her.

"Listen, Alastor. I-"

"I'm not sure what went through your head," he interrupted, his voice filled with forced enthusiasm. "What you thought confessing that to Charlie would get you." He still hadn't looked at her.

"She's the one-" she started as her hands shook and her heart started to race.

"I can assure you," he interrupted once again. "Saying those things out loud will only bring you heartbreak and sadness." He finally turned to her. "Seeing as there is no way in Hell I could ever feel the same about you." His eyes were cold and empty.

Olivia swallowed hard. She knew it was true, but it still hurt to hear him say it.

She glanced at the ground. "Alastor, I swear I would never say it out loud to you. I only did it to get Charlie off my back. No matter what I felt, I was content with staying just your friend."

Alastor stayed silent for a moment before speaking, his words shattering her heart worse than she had ever felt.

"That you believe you mean even that much to me is hilariously entertaining." He smirked maliciously.

Her eyes widened and filled with tears. "But you said-"

He laughed. "I have said many things in my time down here to get what I want. Get my use of someone." He turned back to the street. "You are no one special."

Olivia covered her mouth and ran. Olivia ran down the stairs past a confused Charlie and Vaggie, out the front doors and down the street. 

Alastor watched her run into the distance. He heard someone take in a drag and he turned. On the roof above the entrance to the balcony sat Husker, smoking. He glanced down at Alastor.

"I always knew you were a cruel son of a bitch, but that," he shook his head as he took another drag. "I know you love to hurt people. So did you enjoy that? Destroying her like that?"

Alastor turned away and glanced into the street. "It was for the best." His voice was small as his heart squeezed painfully in his chest. His smile slipped slightly as his grip on the railing bent the metal.

Husker scoffed. "For her, or for you?"

Alastor smiled sadly before disappearing into shadow.

Olivia ran and ran until she collapsed against a tree in a park. How could he say those things? She could understand that he didn't love her but to mean nothing to him? He fooled her from the beginning into thinking he cared about her. Her mind flashed to their first dance. 'Stop.' Flashed to him sitting on her couch after he stayed the night after her panic attack. She grabbed her head. 'Stop!' Flash to them sitting on the kitchen floor after their long talk, resting her head on his shoulder.

"STOP IT!" She screamed, falling to her knees as tears fell to the ground, soaking the dirt.

Typical. She knew this would happen. She knew falling in love would destroy her again. Trusting her heart was a mistake. It always had been. It was an even bigger mistake to fall for the Radio Demon as his reputation proceeded him. She had been doomed from the start.

She laid against the tree for hours, watching demons walk by. Grimacing at couples who strolled by, hand in hand. It was almost supper when she finally stood. Where would she go? She couldn't go back there. Not after that. She sighed and walked forward.

She didn't get far as a cloth was placed over her mouth from behind and the familiar smell of chloroform filled her nose. The world went black.