Ch 42: Light In Your Eyes

Summary: What will happen when Alastor arrives to see his beloved gone? What carnage with follow?

In the over one hundred years that Alastor had existed, he had only known loss once, but it had been a loss that was expected, he had seen coming and could prepare for it. His mother had been everything to him, a constant in his life and it had been difficult losing her, but she had been sick for a long time, so he was able to prepare for her passing.

In the years since he had died, he had many tools and servants, but he had never connected with any of them. They came and went like the seasons, completing their usefulness. He never batted an eye as they fell one by one, either by his enemies or by his own hand. He never cared about them in the slightest.

When Alastor had transported himself, Hilda and Angel to the Arena as soon as the barrier had been lifted, he hadn't heard the gong that indicated a contestant had died. When his shadows has receded, they had appeared about ten feet from the women. The scene that greeted their sight stopped Alastor and Angel from moving forward.

Alice was kneeling next to a body that was hidden from their sight with her back to them. The sounds of crying were loud in the silent plaza. Alice's shoulders were shaking as her head hung. She had been transformed back to her demon form.

Before they even took a step, Vox's voice boomed throughout the area.

"And that is it for another Death Arena, folks! Our surprising winner this year is little Alice! She will be given anything her little heart desires with no strings attached! Let's hear it for her, folks!"

"Wait, only Alice won? W-what about Olivia? She's right there!" Angel exclaimed as he motioned to the two women.

"Oh no." Hilda whispered sadly as she gripped the handle of her bag.

Angel looked at her with wide eyes of disbelief before looking to Alastor. Angel gasped as the pure look of devastation swam in his crimson eyes. His smile stretched unnaturally across his face as he gazed at the lower half of the unmoving body on the other side of Alice. His hands began to shake as numbness creeped through his body. His feet felt heavy, unable to move as he watched Angel rush over to Alice.

"Doll!" Angel called as he kneeled opposite of Alice. Tears weld in his eyes as he took in Olivia's prone form, pale and cold. "Come on, Doll. Wake up!"

Alice sniffed. "M-Mister Angel, she's-" Alice flinched as Angel interrupted her.

"No! She can't be!" Angel leaned down and punched the cement. "She can't leave us!"

Alastor slowly began to walk forward, his feet sluggish as they moved. His breathing became laboured the closer he came to them and his chest constricted in agonizing pain. He had never felt this before. A cold numbness was beginning to consume him, taking control of his emotions, a control he could not let anyone see. Alastor raised his hand and snapped his fingers, sending a portion of his power throughout the town, cutting off the feed from the hidden cameras.

Vox stood from his chair in the control room and screamed. "What happened!?"

"H-he cut off our feed. He d-destroyed the connection! W-we won't be able to get it back." An imp stuttered nervously as he explained.

"That's fucking bastard!" Vox threw his glass across the room, shattering it into tiny pieces. Then, he calmed and sighed, smiling wide. "Oh well, his whore is dead. He got his punishment."

Alastor came up behind Alice, who looked up at his with wide and grief stricken eyes. She stood and moved to the side to allow Alastor to be closer to Olivia. He kneeled and gazed down at Olivia, his chest constricting painfully. He breathed heavily as he fought down the sob that was stuck in his throat.