Ch 36: The Interview

Olivia was quiet as she walked down the hallway to the foyer of the hotel early in the morning on the day of the Arena. She was dressed in her Arena outfit and her hair was pulled into a small ponytail. Alastor walked beside her, also very quiet. He kept shooting her glances from the corner of his eyes, watching her frown deepen as they walked. Once they made it to the top of the stairs, Alastor stopped her before she began her decent. She looked up at him with wide eye filled with apprehension.

"Alastor?" Olivia placed a hand over his on her arm. "What is it?"

Alastor's smile was a tight line as he looked everywhere but her. He sighed and pulled her suddenly into his arms, crushing her in a tight hug. Olivia gasped and grunted as the wind was squeezed from her. After a moment, she wrapped her arms around his waist, listening to his breathing. She was so deep in his embrace that she almost didn't hear his whisper.

"You have to promise me." Alastor's voice was thick with emotion. "Promise me that you will come back to me." His hands clenched against her back, burying his face in her hair.

Olivia stayed quiet for a moment before speaking. "I swear, dearest," Olivia looked up at him, locking eyes, "I will return to you. Nothing will keep me from you, ever."

Alastor smiled wide at the determination in her golden pools. He cupped her face and placed a gentle kiss to her lips, moulding his lips to her perfectly. He pulled away, leaving her breathless at the love and emotion he put into that kiss. He smiled wide as he straightened.

"I love you, darling." Alastor laced his finger with hers and began leading her down the stairs.

"I love you to, Al." Olivia pressed herself into his side, resting her head on his shoulder.

They walked towards the Club where the others were waiting. As they entered, they saw Vaggie and Charlie were finishing up with her backpack filled with items she would need for this situation. Medical supplies, water, food and other necessities she would need for a fight in the desert. Olivia sent them all a small hesitant smile as she approached them. Charlie smiled and straightened.

"Hey! Are you ready?" Charlie clasped her hands in front of her. "We got your bag ready with what you need." Charlie motioned to the bag on the table. "Vox will make his announcement in a half hour. I'm not sure what will happen when he does."

"Have to say one thing though," Angel chimed in from the bar, "you looks hella hot in that outfit. Gonna be the best dressed killa for sure, doll!"

Olivia laughed and shook her head. "I'm pretty sure that's going to be the least of my concerns, D."

"Never hurts to look good." Angel shrugged with a smirk.

Husker snorted. "Only you think that, idiot." He turned to Olivia. "You better come back, Liv. Don't wanna have to deal with him if ya don't." He pointed to Alastor, who narrowed his eyes and smirked wide.

Olivia smiled at Husker and nodded, letting out a deep sigh. She looked at the clock as the feeling of dread sank in her chest. She knew she couldn't have been more ready. Thanks to the help of her friends and lover, her physical abilities and fighting skills had improved exponentially. Her stamina was higher then it had ever been and thanks to Angel and his information gathering, she was able to study the other contestants and their abilities. Most of them held no significance to her but there were a couple that caught her interest. James was, of course, at the top of that list. She wasn't sure what had transpired between him and Alastor in his workshop, but she knew he would not be happy with her, not that any of it was her fault. She learned more about him then she had known before. His fighting abilities were top notch though he lacked speed, which worked in her favour, but there was no mention of his levitation ability he used on Angel that night in the kitchen. She was curious as to why.