Ch 33: A First for Two Becoming One

🔞explicit sexual content ahead🔞

It had been a few days since Vox announced his deadly event, causing a stir throughout the entire city. The air buzzed with both anticipation and absolute fear. Yet at the hotel, the air was saturated with suffocating static as Alastor was in an absolute miserable mood after the announcement, snapping at anyone who got in his way or was slacking off. Olivia tried to talk to him, but he completely shut her out. He didn't come to bed, shut himself in his office for hours and seemed to always have a reason to leave the hotel, saying he was running errands. Olivia began to worry about him immensely.

On the fifth night at 2am, Olivia felt a dip in the mattress. She stirred as her eyes fluttered open, though she hadn't been sleeping, missing his presence in their bed. She turned slowly to see Alastor laying beside her, fully clothed and staring at the ceiling of the canopy. The dark circles under his eyes stood out even in the dim light of the room, his eyes seemed sunken and his smile was incredibly strained, almost a straight line across his face.

"Alastor? Dearest?" Olivia propped herself up on her elbow, scootching closer to him, while trying to make eye contact. "Are you ok?"

Alastor remained silent for a few minutes before he spoke, his voice a harsh whisper, almost like he had a sore throat.

"I have tried everything. I looked into every spell, every ritual but," he sighed deeply, "there is nothing I can do. Nothing!" A wave of static burst out of his body in frustration, causing Olivia to flinch slightly, but she didn't move. He threw an arm over his eyes.

"What are you talking about? Talk to me, please. You're starting to scare me." Olivia placed a hesitant hand on his chest in a comforting gesture, her ears flattening against her head.

"Vox and his moronic arena." Alastor spat viciously. "I may be powerful, but even I can't undo what power Lucifer had given him for this. I can't-" He stopped himself, gritting his teeth. "He's going to call your name, I just know it." His voice held defeat in the tone.

Olivia's eyes saddened as she lowered her body back onto the bed, keeping her hand on his chest to let him know she wasn't going anywhere.

"W-we can't be sure of-"

Alastor interrupted her as he laughed, devoid of all humour. Olivia flinched lightly as its emptiness echoed in their room, her ears drooping again.

"Come on, Olivia. You are not that stupid." Alastor sat up suddenly, dislodging her hand. "You know he will. This is to much of a coincidence." Alastor stood and started to pace in front of the window. "This doesn't make sense though. They said they need you for their ritual. Why put you into something like this where they risk losing you?"

"Alastor." Olivia stood, her short nightgown causing a chill to run through her. "Just relax-"

"He has always done this. Done everything he can to piss me off." Alastor ignored her as he continued to pace, mumbling to himself. "He's going to try and take you from me. He's going to make you suffer because you're with me. I can't allow it."

"Alastor!" Olivia stood in his path, blocking him and placing her hands on his arms. His eyes had begun to glitch into radio dials, grin widening to take up half of his face as his shoulders shook violently. "Stop! This thinking will drive you into madness. You need to relax. It will be ok." She kept her voice calm as she talked. She placed a hand on his cheek, his eyes darting to hers. "Calm, love. You are giving Vox what he wants. Your panic, your fear. Breathe with me."

Olivia placed her other hand on his chest and took in a deep breath, locking eyes with him and trying to get him to follow her breathing. Alastor's breath was shaky as he breathed in, his eyes glitching as he desperately tried to calm down. His breath came out more as a frustrated growl, vibrating against her hand. His forehead thumped against her as he gripped the hand on his cheek, his claws digging into her palm, but she didn't make a sound or move. Finally, after a few moments, his breathing calmed and matched hers. He kept his eyes closed as he breathed in her sweet scent.