Ch 31: Devestation of the Heart

"Oscar?" Olivia stepped forward slowly, peeling the mask from her face. "Is that really you?"

Oscar smiled gently. "Hello, little sister. It's been to long." He walked forward to them and raised the book towards her. "I believe this is the book you are looking for?"

Olivia hesitated as she glanced down at the book in his hands. She raised her eyes to his face, looking for any signs of deception and slowly took it from him. She glanced down and flipped through the pages, sighing with small relief. This was it, the book she remembered. Her fingers grazed over the familiar pages before she looked up at Oscar.

"Thank you, brother."

Oscar placed a hesitant hand on her shoulder, his face becoming serious.

"Octavia, I must warn you. Father is planning something, something terrible. I don't know exactly what it is, but I know it involves you and that book."

Charlie approached Olivia's side, cautiously aware. "You have no idea?"

Oscar tapped his chin in contemplation. "I know he was scheming down in the basement, but I'm not sure of the purpose. Come, I will show you, but then you must leave quickly. Princess, you should come too." He turned and briskly walked into the hallway.

Olivia glanced at Charlie who nodded, but her face told her to be careful. They followed Oscar back down the hallway, passed the door that led to the ballroom. The commotion that Husker had caused seemed to have calmed but the music continued. Loud muffled conversations and laughter was heard as they passed. Oscar led them to a spiralling set of stairs, taking them deep into the mansion. Charlie stayed close to Olivia, keeping close proximity in case something threatened them. It felt like they had been descending for an hour when they finally stopped in front of two doors. One, a tall steel door painted black, the other was a simple wooden door. Oscar walked to the wooden one and opened it, revealing a small staircase leading up. When they crested the doorway, Olivia saw it was a small control room with a large viewing window. There were control panels in front of the window while the walls behind was lined with bookshelves.

Olivia walked to the window and gazed down into the large concrete room. On the floor was a large, chalk pentagram with symbols circling the edge.

"What is this place?" Olivia asked as she stared into the room, dread and anxiety filling her chest.

Oscar walked up beside her as Charlie, still keeping an eye on Olivia, browsed the books. Oscar sighed, clasping his hands behind his back.

"I began the study of Black Magic when I first fell to Hell, trying to remember what mother taught us when we were children. Yet, as I glance at those marking, not even I can determine what he is up to. These ruins are very advanced."

Charlie was busy flipping through a book when Oscar placed a hand on Olivia's shoulder.

"Come down with me, maybe a closer look is in order. Maybe you can decipher them."

Olivia nodded and walked down the steps with Oscar behind her. When they approached the steel door, Oscar snapped his fingers and is slowly opened, creaking loudly. They both entered the large room. The ceilings were high and no windows lined the walls. Olivia bent down near the edge, grazing her fingers over the dried chalk.

"These do look familiar, but I never continued my study of black magic, unlike you." A pain shot through Olivia's head as something started to swim in circles around her mind. A memory? She couldn't quite grasp it, almost like there was a wall between her and the memory. She grasped her head. "I-I can't remember."

"You wouldn't." Oscar's voice became sad as he approached Olivia from behind. The hair on the back of her neck stood on end as she quickly turned. All she saw was Oscar's hand reaching for her neck, grasping the chain around her neck and snapping it. Olivia gasped and reached as her mother's locket was snatched from her.