Ch 30: The Von Bast Estate Expedition

"Welcome! Welcome, friends and acquaintances! Welcome to the esteemed Von Bast Estate and congratulations on surviving another year in Hell!" Paul's voice was deep and charming, just as Olivia remembered.

The crowd applauded and cheered, clinking glasses in a self-toast to his speech.

"As my esteemed guests, it is my duty and obligation," some of the crowd snickered, "to supply entertainment and the most expensive wine in the nine circles!" That got the crowd excited, even Husker clapped.

"Please enjoy the remainder of the Cleanse as we ring in the new year with a bang!"

At that moment, fireworks were fired off, illuminating the ballroom through the glass ceiling. The crowd cheered and drank.

"Not to insult ya, but I see where your showmanship comes from." Angel crossed his arms, raising a brow.

Olivia stared at him before downing her champagne in one gulp. Olivia ducked her head as she noticed Paul come down the stairs and start to mingle with the guests, shaking hands and schmoozing with the ladies. The group moved to the side of the room, away from Paul.

"Alright, when are we executing the plan?" Charlie rubbed her hands together in anticipation.

"Well, if I remember correctly," Olivia tapped her chin, "his study is up there, past the doors." Olivia motioned to the balcony where Paul had emerged, where a security guard stood at each staircase leading up to it.

Charlie nodded. "I believe you're right. So when Alastor leaves for his meeting at 1130pm, that is when Angel, Husker and Niffty with distract the guards away from the stairs."

Vaggie chimed in. "That is when Olivia and Charlie will head up and find the library, grab the book and leave. Do you have any idea what you are looking for?"

Olivia sighed. "I'm hoping I'll know when I see it."

Alastor, Vaggie and Niffty scattered throughout the crowd to see if they could fin any information that would be useful. Olivia, Charlie and Angel stood together near the wall, trying to stay as inconspicuous as possible. It was around 1030pm when the night turned completely sour in Olivia's mouth.

"Well, well, well, Octavia. And here I thought Reginald would have broken you for good this time, but I see you have......recovered." Paul sneered as he gazed down at his disgraced daughter.

Olivia froze as Paul's voice came from behind her. A disgusted shiver ran down her spine at the slimy tone he used. Olivia turned slowly as as Angel and Charlie came up to stand behind her.

"Once again," Paul continued, "your mere existence bring me nothing but disappointment, as expected of such a whore."

Olivia's body shook and her eyes dilated. She pressed her lips into a tight line, stifling the whimper that wanted to escape her throat. Her heart pounded in her chest as her fear coursed through her veins, freezing her to her core. Her father's hard gaze, as usual, made her feel small and insignificant. Olivia took a deep breath and closed her eyes, steeling her nerves. When she opened them, determination shone brightly in her golden eyes.

"If your disappointments have to continue to bite you in the ass, I'm more then happy to oblige." Olivia sent him such an innocent smile full of venom and malice.

Charlie and Angel bit their lips to stifle their laughter.

Paul's eyes narrowed. "How dare you speak your father that way, you insolent little slut."

"By the way," Olivia placed a hand on her hip, looking bored. "My name is Olivia, Paul." Olivia held her head high, even as her nerves were screaming at her to run.