Chapter 23: The Memories of the Yellow Genius

Disclaimer:
Do not fear, Yokai is here! Just a warning, swearing up ahead.

Tails was shaking.

In exhaustion? Fear? The young two-tailed fox himself didn't know as he watched Knuckles pound his large white fists into Sonic's motionless chest.

He assumed it was both.

Tails took one glance at the body that lay before him.

He began to feel sick.

Oh, Sonic...

Clutching his older brother's torso, Tails felt a hollow pit of dread in his belly as the numbness of the drowned body made its way to the fox's paws, despite him wearing warm, wool filled gloves.

This was a gift from Sonic when the two had first met. Sonic had seen the scars on his paws given to him by his bullies, and so he had offered him his two gloves, which Tails had at first refused out of pride.

In the end, however, Sonic had won.

Obviously.

Sonic had also given him two brand new shoes along with a new name.

"From now on, I'll call you Tails!"

Sonic was the one who taught him to love his tails. And from then on, the two-tailed kitsune treasured both his name and namesakes with his life.

~~~

Miles Prower curled his two tails around himself as he proudly lifted his chin, holding his latest invention carefully. After all, he didn't want it to break, especially with all the effort he spent on it.

He called his new invention "Xelestial Igorus". By manipulating space time and bending the fabric of reality, this machine could allow him to cut through physical existence and teleport to different places of the worldmaybe even to different planets.

Xelestial Igorus was a tiny box with a series of buttons on the sides, with both colours of red and blue. Pressing the red button, Miles could travel anywhere on Mobius. Pressing the blue button would allow him to travel to different planets.

Or so he hoped.

For all he knew, his invention could end up being a disaster!

Well, no use in trying if I don't test it out! Miles argued with himself, forcing himself to swallow the nervousness that had welled up in his throat. And if this does turn out to be a success, I can help Mobius defeat Dr. Robotnik once and for all!

You see, the true reason Miles had even attempted to build this machine was because of the famous rumor of a light-speed blue rabbit. Tales had it that the Blue Rabbit was the reason for Dr. Robotnik's unexpected and mysterious defeat after turning most of the critters into robot slaves.

Of course, this was only a rumour. It wasn't guaranteed to be true.

But this light-speed rabbit could travel to other places of the world in a second, right? So how would it feel if he, Miles, was able to do the same?

And maybe he could even join the rabbit! The two could become buddies, defeat Robotnik once and for all, and create world peace!

Then maybe everyone would remember him as a hero, instead of an oddball genius with two, imperfect tails.

Miles gave a sorrowful sigh. Of course that wouldn't happen. Miles was sure the blue rabbit tale was nothing more than an old mole spreading false stories to create hope in the mobian's distressed hearts encased in fear.