Chapter 43: Kirby of the Stars

Kirby woke up in a dark field full of stars, the tiny pricks of light glinting at him invitingly as he swam through the cold blanket of space. He gazed longingly at the stars, wishing he could join their ignorance, even for a moment. But it wasn't possible, for he knew where he was. His heart thrummed with despair, and his pink skin went pale.

He was in his mind, meaning he had been knocked unconscious by Dark Sonic.

With a sad, dejected whimper, Kirby let his tears fall, his throat closing as it threatened to release a loud yowl. He had failed to save Meta Knight, Shadow, and himself. Dark Sonic—Zero—had been far too strong for him to face. All of Nightmare's Demon Beasts he previously fought seemed like jokes compared to the Dark Matter leader.

Hopelessness settled in. The stars around him stopped glowing, dimming against the dark null until only a bleak blackness remained. Kirby covered his face with his paws, and he finally allowed himself to sob. He would be brought to the Dark Matters to be possessed, and he would have to watch as his paws got soiled with the thick, crimson blood of his friends. Again.

The fact that it would not be the first time getting his paws dirty scared him even more.

Some hero he was. He couldn't even protect his own father. Maybe... Maybe he really was just some stupid baby, he thought with a broken sniff. A useless, sniveling baby who was terrified of himself and the destruction he could cause if he got too careless.

What kind of existence was that?

Tears rolled down from his eyes, dropping down and sinking into the lonely abyss. He shuddered, and panic began to overtake him. The darkness coiled around him, drowning him in the unfeeling air, and he struggled against his binds, clawing for a way out. The darkness covered his eyes, and Kirby fought for air, his chest falling and rising rapidly.

He was about to die. In his own mind, where even his own misery took advantage of him. How Nightmare would have loved to see him so vulnerable... So weak...

Just as Kirby was about to black out, he heard a voice calling him, and he felt a strong grip dragging him out of the darkness. He hit the surface, and he gasped, inhaling the air, collapsing with relief when he saw the stars glimmer brightly above him. He trembled with exhaustion.

"Breathe, Kirby. You're safe now."

Despite his soreness, Kirby jumped, lifting his head. His eyes locked onto a beautiful pair of starry blue pupils, glittering just as brightly as the stars. He felt himself getting lost in the lights of the eyes, and he had to force himself awake with a quick shake. It was then his gaze trailed over the body of his saviour, and his mouth gaped in shock, a spluttered cry managing to loosen from his lips.

It was the marked puffball from the memories—the puffball who looked identical to him, with a thin, red scar slithering down his cheek. He offered Kirby a paw.

He was invading his mind just like Zero invaded Sonic's. Kirby screamed in fear, thinking he was going to get possessed, and he scrambled away from the marked puffball, smacking his paw away roughly. The marked puffball blinked.

His Star Warrior instincts kicking in, Kirby sent out a wild punch, following with a strike from his foot. The marked puffball's eyes widened in shock, only narrowly avoiding the two blows by ducking underneath Kirby's paw and quickly leaping out of the way from his kick. The marked puffball backed away slowly, holding his paws in the air, motioning to Kirby that he meant no harm.