Chapter 33: Communicating Thoughts

Sonic woke up with the scent of cold ash stuffing his nose. Sneezing lightly, the young hedgehog stretched, arching his back and quills and cracking any loose bones. The chill that had once taken over his body was now replaced by a comforting warmth that spread from head to tail.

But even though everything else felt fine, Sonic realized that his legs- his most powerful weapons- felt weak and stiff. He could see them trembling as he tried to stand, and it was as if his legs were screaming at him to lay back down and take a break.

There was no mistake this time.

Dark Matter.

Yesterday's events flashed past Sonic's eyes like a hurricane of memories. He remembered getting hauled off by Eggman and laying in the emerald grass of the Field of Endless Running; later being told that Dark Matter had specifically targeted him, going as far to fight Shadow, Kirby, and Meta Knight just to get its grasp on him.

Thinking about the events that had taken place only a day before made Sonic's blood boil with anger. He didn't care what they did to him, but anyone who dared mess with his friends would taste his fury.

I won't allow anyone else to meet Kintobor's fate.

Or mine, for that matter.

Sonic felt his vision blur into a white haze, and from the corner of his eye he glimpsed his blue fur fading into a dark, midnight black. He clenched his fist, baring his sharp fangs as he imagined sinking them into the soft, gas-like flesh of an unlucky Dark Matter. They thought they could tame a wild beast, did they?

You don't know what I'm capable of.

As he growled to himself, another thought invaded his mind. One that immediately extinguished his flames of rage with a full douse of fear.

Shadow! He fought Dark Matter alongside Kirby and Meta Knight! Sonic's worry started kicking in, brushing aside any leftover anger welling up inside him. Is he okay? Are the others okay? I won't ever forgive myself if- if-

"Sonic? Are you alright? What's wrong?"

Sonic turned around to see Shadow staring at him, worry swirling within his ruby gaze. He was leaning against a couch (My couch, Sonic realized), his mouth curved into a small frown. He's safe!

Shadow looked as if he had just woken up, for his eyes were clouded and his quills were unkept (Well, they always are, Sonic thought affectionately. I think he's given up trying to smooth them down. After all; fifty years without brushing his quills! Imagine trying to untangle that.). He also looked a little ashamed of himself.

Tuff laid beside the black hedgehog, clearly sleeping. He muttered unconsciously, twisting and turning as he let out an occasional kick.

There was also Dedede, who also appeared to be sleeping. He remained motionless unlike the cappy, with his rising chest being the only indication that the penguin was alive.

Well, that and his ear-deafening snores.

"Shadow!" Sonic flung himself into the black hedgehog's arms, ignoring the pain that erupted through his legs as he leapt off the ground and into his lover's hold. Shadow caught him with a surprised grunt, a quiet purr rumbling through his throat. His chest fur was soft and welcoming, smelling of sweet coconut. "You're okay!"