Chapter 39: Silent Observation

Hi all!

It has been.

So.

Long.

I tried to write this fanfic for the longest time, but the homework just came piling in one after another like a tsunami. I value my freedom more than ever now.

Oh, sweet baby freedom. I'm finally back!

I apologize for those who have been waiting patiently for a new chapter to arrive. No excuse will ever satisfy.

With that all done and said, I hope you all enjoy this next chapter! And again, I am so sorry for the long wait!

-Much love, Yokai

____________________________________

Knuckles stood frozen in place, his cool breath lodged deep inside the caves of his throat. He could hear the heavy pounding of his heart furiously beating against his ribcage like a caged bird, telling him that what the Master Emerald informed him could not be true. That Kirby couldn't possibly be the Master Emerald's creator. After all, how could a whimpering, terrified baby beach ball be the creator of something that was over a million years old?

But... But he had to be. The Master Emerald knew everything. It never lied. And even if it did, why should it? For an artifact as mighty as it, there was no need for mischief.

With a heavy sigh, Knuckles turned to the Master Emerald, a flicker of doubt gnawing at his core. Despite the Master Emerald's truthful words, there was still something pulling the echidna back from fully accepting the fact that Kirby was as ancient—no, more so—as the Master Emerald. Perhaps it was his innocent appearance, or his naivety. Nonetheless, Knuckles found himself refusing to believe the Master Emerald, and instead chose to ignore its mighty god-like status.

"I... Master Emerald, please forgive me for speaking so rudely," Knuckles mumbled, bowing at the emerald. His dreadlocks hung over his eyes like a blanket of red, tickling his nose gently. "But are you sure you are not mistaken? Are you sure that it is Kirby you are speaking of, and not someone else?"

It took the Master Emerald some time to conjure up a suitable answer. "Yes, Knuckles," the Master Emerald said firmly. Yet, an uneasy shimmer reflected from its green surface, causing Knuckles to narrow his eyes in suspicion. "I am certain that it is him. However, he feels... different from what I remember. I can feel his spirit, his soul... But his body... His eyes..." The Master Emerald paused, its voice adopting a tone of wonder. "They're similar, but not his. I don't fully understand it myself."

Knuckles blinked in surprise, his jaw gaping in shock. Even the wind seemed the cease its frisky tussling. The Master Emerald... doesn't understand? How? It was simply unheard of! B-but the Master Emerald knows everything!

Before the Master Emerald could speak further and explain itself, it flashed abruptly, its mystical glow fading away in the blink of an eye, causing the area around Knuckles to fall into darkness. The guardian jerked, feeling the comfort he usually received from the emerald disappearing into the empty air like mist. The Master Emerald now sat in front of him like a lifeless husk, as if the two hadn't been engrossed in a conversation seconds before.

"Hey, handsome," a lofty voice called out, causing the hairs on Knuckles' back to prickle. He turned around and saw a beautiful albino bat smiling at him, her eyes gleaming with mischief. Knuckles groaned, feeling embarrassed that he was cut off guard. "Did you miss me?"