Chapter 25: A Sudden Message

Amy was leaning against a tall tree, breathing heavily as she looked around the area in caution, her heart thumping loudly beneath her chest. The pink hedgehog swallowed, taking a break from all the running. What had just happened? Only a few seconds ago, Sonic had been rescued, and then the next, a dark eye-creature had appeared out of nowhere and attacked them!

Geez, what's the deal? Amy thought, crossing her arms as she regained her lost breath. It's been a while since we've been this busy!

Amy frowned. Now that she thought about it, ever since Kirby and the others had arrived to Mobius, there had been more attacks from the doctor along with more deadly results. It wasn't everyday that Sonic got knocked out two days in a row.

Reaching for her wrist communicator, the hedgehog took one final breath before speaking into the microphone. "Tails? Pink Rose here. Do you read me?"

A few moments passed, but soon her call was answered. "As clear as day. What's the matter?"

Amy bit her lip. How would she say this without Tails freaking out? After all, Tails was Sonic's adoptive little brother, and the two had arguably the tightest bond out of all of Sonic's closest friends. "We were attacked by some sort of monster, Tails. Sonic should be safe with Knuckles and Dedede, so for now, get Tiff and Tuff and track me down with the tracking device in the communicators."

Amy couldn't believe how calmly she was speaking. After all, the pink hedgehog loved Sonic like he was the whole world. So why did she suddenly feel so relaxed, as if she was the leader of an army? Maybe it was because she didn't want Tails to worry, but she seriously doubted it.

"A- already?" The fox sounded surprised, and she could just hear the tiny whimper that was building up his throat. "Oh no... I really hope Sonic's okay... I- I'll get to you as soon as I can!"

The next thing Amy heard was the sharp annoying buzz of static. Sighing, the pink hedgehog nervously ruffled her short pink hair, looking up at the clouds in a pleading manner.

Sonic, please hang on! We'll all be reunited soon!

~~~

"Arghhh! I've got another splinter! Seriously, does nature have a vendetta against me or what?" Tuff grumbled, dropping all of his sticks as he inspected his stinging finger.

Lodged deep inside his yellow skin was a tiny slab of wood, making itself at home in Tuff's finger. To his right stood Tiff, who only rolled her eyes, shooting her brother an irritated look.

"You do know that all of those sticks are for Sonic, correct?" the cappy snapped, glaring at her brother. "You know, the hedgehog who just drowned a few minutes ago? Would be nice if you didn't drop them?"

Tuff looked at his sister sheepishly. "Oh. Right. Sorry." After rubbing his finger with his thumb a few more times, the younger brother was back on the task. Tiff exhaled loudly, shaking her head in disappointment. Her brother could be such a dunce sometimes!

He gets distracted so easily it's a wonder how he still remembers his own name! Tiff thought to herself, eyeing her brother carefully like a hawk. If only he took a few lessons from Meta Knight!

At least Kirby took a lessons from the elderly knight back in Dreamland. In a few more years, Kirby would probably end up both mature and polite, just like Meta Knight and Tiff.

But he's still so young! Even Meta Knight said so, back in Dreamland, that Kirby was maturing too quickly for his age and species.