14. To Get On His Good Side

Copyright 2013 - All Rights Reserved ©

Chapter 14—To Get On His Good Side

Audrey’s POV

RECAP:

“One, two, three!” I ran faster than a bullet and was at the dip in just a couple seconds. I jumped and landed nearly forty feet. This put me well over the distance I needed for the dip. I didn’t have very far to go before I reached the hill and turned around. I was back at the starting line in less than two minutes. It took almost another full minute for Cody to get back. He shifted behind the tree and came over his mouth hanging open. He gulped.

His first words to me were: “You aren’t human.”

“I’m not even sure anymore.” I said with a shrug like it was nothing though it was far from it.

“Penny! No human can run that fast! Jump that far! Hit that hard! Face the damn facts!” Jason screamed

“I was hoping you would have an explanation.” I whispered. He gave me a look that reminded me of a father’s. “Look. I have human parents. Completely human! They can’t have some freakish kid like me!” I tried to sway them.

“Who are your parents?” Cody asked

“Were.” I whispered barely audible

“Excuse me?”

“Were.” I said louder this time. “I never knew my parents. I was adopted. But I do know they were human. They died in a car accident years ago.” It was the truth. I was in the car, strapped to my car seat. Barely six months old. The trunk came head on. Drunk drivers were the cause of my parents’ death and nearly mine. They didn’t know if I’d make it, I was in a coma for a few months. I was already a year old when I came around.

I was given to Caden and Arianna when I was 14 months old. They were newly-weds and Arianna was unable to bear children. Or so they thought. She gave birth to Arabella when I was five. She was ten when I left. She was also the only good part of my family. The only one who genuinely cared what happened to me. Once she was born, that’s when they became the empty shells I knew. Only to me though. Oh no, how could they forget about their biological daughter? They acknowledged me, they fed me, they gave me an allowance, etc. But the one thing I longed for the most was never given to me. Affection.

They didn’t love me. They didn’t care about me. They barely looked for me! I haven’t heard anything about Ara from Grace, but I wonder if they even let her help search for me? I don’t know. I can ask later. That is if I ever get out of here.

The twins gasped and Jason tackled me in a hug.

“Penny I didn’t know—” I shoved him off of me as nicely as I could.

“I don’t want your pity.” I spat. They were stunned. I scrambled to find words to apologize. “I mean,” I sighed “Sorry. That was rude, it’s just…I guess I’ve gotten over it. I just hate it when people show sympathy for what they couldn’t do anything about. It’s a waste of breath and it makes me feel weak!” Cody and Jason looked at me both skeptically and dead serious.

Cody pinned my arms to my sides and looked me straight in the eye as he spoke, “Penny, you aren’t anything if not strong. You are not weak. But you have to tell us. How did you get here?”

I sighed and hung my head. “I’m not even sure how. I was knocked out. Needle to the arm.”

“How’d you get to our woods? It sounds like you got in our territory.” I shrugged