18. You Can't Tell. Anyone.

Copyright 2013 - All Rights Reserved ©

Chapter 18

Audrey’s POV

“What?!” Jason screamed finally finding something to say that wasn’t total gibberish.

They aren’t taking this well. I was certain I was purely human but that was proved wrong.

Peyak growled at me. And I love that. I reassured. She made a smug sound in the back of her throat.

I took a step forward. My reddish brown paw was the size of a large baseball glove. Cody fell and scrambled backwards like a crab. Jason’s eyes were huge.

I knew I wouldn’t be able to talk to them in this form so I went behind the bush and shifted back. I threw on my clothes quickly and went back to the frightened twins.

Cody was pale and seemed as if he’d just seen a ghost. I almost asked him what happened and whether he needed a doctor. Almost. Have I always been that forgetful? Four seconds. Must be a new record for forgetting how you possibly scarred your friends forever.

“Guys.” I started out calmly. It felt dramatic and unnecessary but I put my hands in the air as if to say I was unarmed. I took slow steps towards the twins with exaggerated slowness. “It’s me. Au—Penny.” I quickly corrected my little slip up.

“You…wolf…wait…no…wait…what?” Jason stuttered. I laughed a little.

“Yes.”

But you’re human!” Cody exclaimed

“I thought so too.” I answered looking at my feet.

No one moved for a while. I just stood there quietly looking at my feet. My head hung low, my long, blonde hair formed a curtain over my face. If I can’t see them, they can’t see me right? That’s how kids think, why shouldn’t I? Oh yeah, it doesn’t actually work. I almost frowned. Lucky kids can think without worries like I have to. Damn.

In fact, the only indication that they were still there was their light, quiet breathing. I felt a hand underneath my chin. The hand pulled my head up and brought me face to face with Cody’s gray eyes.

“What?” I whispered. He just stared at me. I couldn’t read his eyes. “Please.” I begged “Say something.”

“Finally!” Jason screamed throwing his hands up in the air. I stared at him. His shirt was dirty from all the training but the red color of it was as vibrant as ever. His hair was a flop of dark brown and far too long for my taste. It went past his ears! Both of them actually. Hmm… Maybe I should give them both surprise haircuts in their sleep. Oh, I should totally do that! I smirked evilly.

“What?”

“Nothing.” I answered too quickly. Damn I’ll give myself away before I get the chance at this point! “So why finally?” I asked. It was a little confusing. Finally what?

“We should have known! You showed a lot of signs for it. Besides, when we were knocked out, wolves were still alive. Someone had to kill them. And today against Julian. He’s an excellent fighter but you defended yourself well. How did you learn to fight like that?” Jason’s head cocked to the side.

I shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess my wolf is a fighter. She tends to take over me. She says that’s how I understood things so much. It’s like, when you guys tell me things about werewolves, I knew it deep down already. Understood it even. More so than I should have. I bet if you were to ask me a question. I’d already know the answer. Peyak, she…tells me? Is that the right word?” I was babbling. Leave me alone! I warned you I rant when I’m nervous!

“Okay let’s test that theory.” Jason said. I nodded.

“Who’s in power around here?” I closed my eyes as if soul searching. That’s kind of how it worked for us. I thought. Then all of a sudden, the answer pops into my mind as if it was there the whole time and whispered in my ear at the same time. Like a reminder.

“The Alpha. He’s the one who whipped me that first day.”

“Elaborate.” I can do that. “How do you know this?”

“He has this aura. It just screams power. You can’t help but want to bow your head and follow his command. The only reason I was able to stand up to him was this nagging inside me. Obviously that was Peyak. At the time though, all I knew was he was the leader.” The twins gapped at me.

“Wow,” Jason said “That was not what I expected you to say.”

“Well, what did you expect me to say?” I asked curiously

“I don’t know exactly. Maybe just he was the leader. But that…th…that was…wow.” he stuttered.

“One more thing” I said

Their attention was back on my face. “What?” Cody finally spoke.

“I…Keep this a secret okay?” I warned. I left no room for argument. It was not a question, it was an order. I obviously shocked us all with the authority in my voice. They nodded my head.

“Sure. Why though? They all think you’re a pathetic human.”

“Exactly.” I said

“What?!” They both spat in surprise. I smiled

“This can give us an edge. They’d probably tighten my leash if they knew what I could really do. You two are the only ones who know and I want to keep it that way. Not even Hannah and Julian can know. Okay?” they looked impressed at first but at my mention of not telling their closest friends their faces fell slightly.

“Okay.” They both muttered disappointedly.

“I want to leave soon. Now that I’m a wolf I think we have a better chance of getting away. I know I need their trust first but I have a plan and we may as well start planning now.” They looked up and smirked.

“Let’s do it.” Cody said.

Song: Kiss You (One Direction)    

Pic: Banner made by yours truly ;)