27. Tell Me

• Dedicated to Cory Monteith

Copyright 2013 - All Rights Reserved ©

Chapter 27— Tell Me

Audrey’s POV

We sat in the booth restlessly waiting for our friends. Natalie fell asleep on top of Julian’s lap. His back was leaning against the window, his eyes shut and breathing even. Obviously asleep as well.

I yawned and let my back sink into the booth. I propped my feet up on Julian’s from under the table. My eyes slid shut and I fell into a comforting state of unknowingness with ease.

Someone shook my shoulder. I lifted my hand and hit their forehead with the palm of my hand a few times. “What was that for?” I heard Julian’s voice ask me both amused and annoyed.

“I’m looking for the off button.” I mumbled half-asleep. Julian chuckled.

“Wake up sleepy-head. Food’s here.” I opened one eye and my gaze rested hungrily on the blueberry pancakes sitting before me. I inhaled they’re heavenly scent eagerly before letting out a moan. I dug in immediately.

“Try not to fall too in love Audrey. We have to leave soon.”

“I’ll take some to go.” I replied stubbornly.

Julian sighed, though I heard the amusement he’d attempted to keep hidden laced inside of the sound.

“Audrey, I hate to break it to you but, I’m sorry. It just won’t work out. They’ll never feel the same way about you. They’re already cheating on the buttermilk with the chocolate chip. They can’t handle another relationship right now.” Natalie giggled. I turned and gave her a playful glare.

“Oh yeah? Here, try it Nat, I promise, you’ll cry they’re so good.” I fed her a forkful of the fluffy, circular piece of heaven.

“Mmm. You’re right, that is good!”

We sat around for hours laughing and goofing around, teasing each other. If you thought my reaction to the pancakes was embarrassing you should’ve seen Julian! I’d pay big money to see that again!

Not one haggard or upset expression crossed our faces. Our moods were much too cheerful. We caused quite a scene when I slapped Julian’s face with a waffle. Not to mention a butter-and-syrup covered one. Hey, he should have known better than to make jokes about my abilities. Roadrunner and I are nothing alike! He is a kind of bird; I am a kind of wolf and a kind of human!

We all froze for a second before erupting into laughter once again. We continued with our playful banter for the next twenty minutes or so.

But we stopped when we heard the bell over the diner’s door chime and familiar scents hit Julian and I’s senses. I turned slowly to face the entrance.

We stared at each other for a while, assessing each other. I saw purplish bags under his eyes. He was worried as he looked me over for injuries. I stood up from the booth but made no attempt to move closer. We stared at each other for who knows how long in silence. And then it was broken.

“Who’s that?” I turned to face Natalie. Poor thing. She was cowering against the seat. Once she got the words out of her mouth she returned to burying her face in Julian’s side. Seeing such a large group of unknown wolves must terrify her. Jordan, Hannah, the twins, Alex, Marco. They were all here. He picked her up out of the booth and placed her on the ground so she stood beside him. She shifted to cling to his leg, now hiding her face in his thigh.