26. We're Coming

~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~

 Copyright 2013 - All Rights Reserved ©

Chapter 26

Audrey’s POV

“You guys got the plan?” I said urgently in a hushed tone.

“Yes, yes. Now go!” Julian pleaded in an equally hushed tone. Natalie clung to his leg, her small, thin arms wrapped around his thigh. Her eyes begged me to go. I needed to keep Drakon distracted.

And by distracted, I mean drunk.

When Drakon was thoroughly disoriented, Julian would get Natalie close enough to the perimeter to view the patrol wolves. He’s going to scale a tree and get her seated on a specific branch we chose before so that when I slow under her, she can jump onto my back. Then he’ll bound along, right on our tails.

I knew Natalie was nervous. I also knew that she was eager and ready to escape this evil place. She grew up too fast for her young age. She’s fragile, yet she’s strong. She’s quiet, yet she’s bold. Natalie is a lot of things I wasn’t when I was eight. Not to mention, she is incredibly brave. When I was eight, I was still afraid of the dark, let alone being in the woods of Rogue Camp after the sun went down.

I searched through the sea of people for Drakon. I found him laughing his cold heart out at the bar. Most likely it wasn’t even funny. Oh yes, he is ready.

Drakon is completely wasted.

I swayed my hips as I walked up to him and his friends. All of their clouded, bloodshot eyes were glued to my curves. Even in his drunken state, Drakon managed to growl and silence their lust-filled purrs.

Mine.”

I hated that I had to go along with this. It will all be over tonight though; I only have to deal with this betrayal a short while longer.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and bit back my growl when his hands strayed lower than my waist. I can handle the waist—sort of—but no, that was too far. I jumped out of his grasp and rubbed my arm in attempt to calm the raging gooseflesh. It was colder here than I’m used to; my werewolf genes weren’t exactly at their peak to keep me warm. After all wolfsbane is still in the process of leaving my body.

“Drakon?” He mumbled something so low that even I couldn’t hear. “Can we go for a walk? Just the two of us?” He eagerly grabbed my hand and tugged me to a path leading to the tree line.

He was making this pretty easy. Just like before, I wanted to feel bad for him, he never had a faithful Luna. But also just like earlier, I couldn’t. He deserved it. His heart is just a rock in his chest, incapable of feeling.

I helped him through the forest as he stumbled along, trying not to fall. It wasn’t hard to knock him out. He was way passed sober so all it took was a single blow to the face to send him into the world of unconsciousness. I debated just killing the guy. After all, he’s done so much to deserve it, so much that it took all of my restraint to leave him on the forest floor after dragging his body and hiding it in the thick, green vegetation.

I stripped and shifted into my wolf.

You ready for this? I asked Peyak.

Hell yeah.

We sprinted to where Julian and Natalie were waiting. I saw a pair of bright green eyes watching, guarding the girl in the trees. I nodded my furry head and he started to run. I stopped under the branch Natalie was perched on. I watched her as she lowered herself until she was hanging from it by her hands. It reminded me of doing pull-ups back in Gym class. Her head looked down on me. I saw the uncertainty in her eyes. I gave her a whimper in return and nudged my head in the direction the patrollers were in. She gulped before letting go and suddenly there was extra weight on my back. I let her wiggle around as she tried to get comfortable.

Her face became buried in my fur and I took off like the wind. I felt strength dripping into my insides. Slowly my strides became longer, my pace quicker. I howled in victory and Natalie laughed. Julian joined in my howl from about a quarter of a mile away. We had reached a small town hours away from camp. With the adrenaline pumping through our veins though our judgment was a bit off. In reality, we were much farther than several hours.

Julian and I shrugged into our clothes and I took Natalie by one hand while Julian took her other. We walked into the town, through the streets until we found a small diner.

Julian laughed. “Well, would you look at that? Penny’s Diner. Open twenty-four hours. Sounds like just the place to stop, wouldn’t you agree?”

“Why yes, kind sir, I do believe it would be a nice place to stop.” I chuckled with him then. “You think they have a payphone?” I asked seriously. He only shrugged.

“I don’t know. Let’s go eat though, I’m starving.”

Natalie had erupted into a fit of laughter when we started to swing her by the arms in between us. She giggled as her body flew forward and back, suspended in the air, hanging on our arms. I bet that if you hadn’t known any better, any passersby would assume we were a blood-related family.

We slid into a booth. Me on one side and Julian and Natalie across from me. We got her some crayons and one of those little kids menus. The waitress made a comment about us making a cute family but we quickly assured her we weren’t. After that, a little spark caught in her eye and she openly flirted with Julian. It was quite amusing to be honest. It made him really uncomfortable at first, but after a minute he made it clear he wasn’t interested and all was righted once again.

She was shocked once again when we ordered a huge meal. I got two double cheeseburgers with French fries and a large chocolate shake. Julian got the same but with a strawberry shake. Natalie had ordered an entire pepperoni pizza and a Dr. Pepper. Hey, at least the girl’s got good taste. Dr. Pepper is practically my life juice.

The waitress nodded when she finished jotting our order down and was about to turn away when I caught her attention.

“Do you by any chance have a payphone I could use?”

Nonchalantly she waved her hand and said, “In the back.” I stood up and walked to wear the phone was. I pushed some coins in and dialed the number. Luckily he picked up on the third ring.

“Jordan?” I breathed

“Mmm? What do you want? Who are you? I was sleeping.” His voice was thick with sleep as well as cranky but I remembered the pain of being separated from my mate and knew it must be taking a lot out of him. I was only getting my strength back.

“Jordan. It’s me. Audrey.” I heard his breathing hitch.

“Where are you? We’ll come get you. Did you escape Camp?”

“Yes, we escaped Camp and we’re at some diner we found.” I chuckled “It’s called ‘Penny’s Diner.’”

“Where is it?”

Luckily the name of the city had been on the menu. Would’ve been a little suspicious to have to ask. I gave him the name of the city and could imagine him nodding. I had to quickly pull the phone a few inches away from my ear because the other end was total chaos.

“Audrey?” I wouldn’t have been able to pick out my name through the receiver had I not had any werewolf hearing.

“Present.”

“Stay there, we’re coming.”