Keep In Touch (Steve Rogers)

Prompt: "I'm not doing that again."

Summary: Reader and Steve have been dating for a few months, and reader's gotten used to Steve having to run off on official hero business in the middle of the night. They just can't get used to not hearing from him for hours on end after the hero business is done.

Day eight of Fictober on Tumblr.

****************

"Alright Rogers, get ready for an experience that will change your life."

I flopped down on the couch next to my boyfriend Steve and pointed the remote at the TV. He wrapped his arm around me, and I pulled the blanket up a little higher as I navigated to the DVD menu.

"I'm excited to see what all the excitement was about," he said with a small chuckle. "Especially after you almost killed Tony last week when he heard we were watching Star Wars."

"Yeah, because he almost spoiled one of the best reveals in cinematic history!" I yelled. "Trust me, if you knew the context, you would've almost killed him too."

Steve just grinned, pulling me a little closer as the movie started. He actually jumped when the intro music started blasting, which was cute as hell, and then the opening crawl started and I was in heaven.

The opening crawl was just fading out when Steve's emergency Avengers phone started beeping. He grimaced as he leaned over and grabbed it, then turned to me with an apologetic look once he'd read the message. I paused the movie, already knowing where this was going.

"Y/N, I am so sorry-"

"Steve, it's okay. You're Captain America, I knew what I was getting into. Just be safe, okay? And let me know when you're done with the hero business. I want to know you're okay."

Steve leaned in and kissed me once before standing up to leave.

"Thank you for being so understanding. You're the best, Y/N."

"Thanks Steve." I smiled as he headed out the door, then called after him as something else occurred to me. "And don't let Tony spoil Star Wars for you! Tell him I'll kill him if he does!"

Steve waved over his shoulder and shut the door, leaving me alone in our silent apartment. I sighed and slumped down into the couch cushions, trying to decide on what to do. After a few minutes I pushed play on A New Hope, deciding I might as well watch some of my favorite movies, even if Steve couldn't watch them until later.

It was as good a way as any to keep my mind off the danger Steve was rushing into.

****************

Six and a half hours later, I'd finished all the Star Wars movies and yet I hadn't heard anything from Steve. I knew a lot of super hero business took longer than a few hours, but I was still starting to get nervous.

Against my better judgement, I switched from the DVD to regular TV. The news usually made me feel worse more than it made me feel better, but I wanted to know what was going on with Steve, and this seemed like the only way to find out.

I flipped to the right channel and had a heart attack when images of a massive battle appeared on my screen. The newscasters and the ticker tape along the bottom quickly told me I was looking at Sokovia, where Steve and the rest of the Avengers were making a stand against some massive threat to the world's safety. I clutched my blanket and watched for a few minutes, but when chunks of Earth started falling from the sky as part of Sokovia lifted into the air I decided this was far too much stress for me. I was going to have a heart attack if I kept watching this.