Chapter 14: The Heart Wants What the Heart Wants

|HOLLY|

Winchester palace, Europe
January 2015

It was the start of the year and I woke up still feeling lousy, my stomach churning. Goddamn this stomach bug, I thought as I sat up in my bed only to find Calvin in my drawer, fiddling on my clothes. I shrieked and ran to him quickly, tangling my feet on the comforter and falling at my hands. I winced as I pushed myself up and turned to Calvin who was looking at me amused.

"W-What," I started as I got on my feet and threw the comforter on the bed. "Are you doing here?"

"Come on, were going fishing," he said as he threw on some jackets which I caught immediately. I groaned at the idea as I stared at the snow covered window before whimpering at him. "Seriously?! It's freaking cold outside."

He scoffed. "You're the only lycan who is actually scared of the cold. I thought wolves love the cold?"

"You're racist," I muttered as he chuckled at that. "I just don't like the cold."

"I know, that's why I'm taking you fishing," he said, grinning. "Jerk," I muttered as I stepped to my bathroom and quickly took a bath before covering myself with layers. When I decided that I'm warm enough, I stepped out of the bathroom and felt the cold draft blow. I shivered and lunged at the extra jackets on the bed, cursing at the cold.

"You look like a giant marshmallow," he said as he took a leather jacket and put it on before putting on a bonnet. I took in his appearance clad in a blue turtle neck that fits to his body perfectly topped with the dark leather jacket. His cheeks are pink due to the cold and I could help myself fall deeper into his trap.

"Yeah and you look like a...a...a thug." I mentally face palmed myself at the lame come back.

He raised his eyebrows at me and shook his head before exiting the door, making me waddle behind him. I followed him to his room and saw him take out a leather case with centuries old dust covering it. I furrowed my eyebrows at it and realized at this must be his fishing pole. To know that Calvin is doing something completely mundane set a smile in my face.

"Why're you smiling like a fool?" He asked, rolling his eyes at me. "No reason," I replied as I tucked my head under a pink bonnet and urged him to hurry; after all, it's a treat to see him do something normal. Something that a human does.

As usual, we snuck out again, away from Gustav's prying eyes. My hands were wrapped on Calvin's arm, and I couldn't help but to smile at the contact. I wish everyday is like this, just Calvin and me sneaking around, doing nothing in particular just hanging out.

Just like lovers would do.

I blushed like a fool and blamed it on the cold when Calvin asked. We stepped out of the castle, my boots sinking on the three inches snow surrounding the area. I saw, from the height of the Winchester hill, the frozen lakes of Winchester glistening like crystals. The cold wind rivaled those if the arctic and I could help but curse at it again. To worsen the situation, the sun is just still about to shine. The night is still dark and the moon is still present but is slowly starting fading away.

I shivered as both Calvin and I walked to the garage before starting up the biggest car in the row and driving out of sight. I tucked a stray hair behind my ear and turned to him. "Where are we going?"

"Fishing."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Yes. But where?"

"At the lake. Now stop asking."

I pouted at him and decided to leave it at that. Soon, I found myself standing on the lake not far from town. Bare trees covered the area and no soul is within sight making it secluded as possible. I blew clouds of air as I helped Calvin assemble a few things on the ice, careful not to step on anything that might cause it to break. I carried a cooler and laid it beside Calvin who was knocking on ice. I just watched him do his thing until he found a spot, and, get this, he punched it.