Chapter 19: Surprise!

|HOLLY|

"I'm gonna lose my muscles, Holly."

"Shut up, Harley. They're just muffins," I said while slapping the wooden spoon at his shoulder. He grimaced as he wiped off the batter of my blueberry muffins off his shirt. "I'm going to grow fatter and fatter. For the past four days you've done nothing but to feed me. Feeding me sweets, Holly. I'm going to develop diabetes!"

I waved my wooden spoon at him again and warned him for anything else. "Fine, go back to your quarters and miss these new batch of chocolate chip cookies with extra caramel syrup," I wiggled my eyebrows at him and he swallowed audibly, hesitating in leaving. Finally, he groaned and muttered a small 'just one bite' before drumming his fingers on the wooden table.

I returned back to my batter and poured syrup on it before stirring. It had been four days since I've seen Calvin. The last time had been when he left without saying anything and basically made me rethink everything I said. That night, I walked to his room and knocked, only to find it empty and without most of his clothes. Panic occluded my vision as I ran to Gustav's room and pounded at his door.

"Holly," he said warily as he opened the door, looking for the worst. I opened my mouth to ask him what the matter is when I remember that Gustav has duties too. Maybe Calvin's giving him a hard time as well?

"Where's...umm...Calvin?" Was my weak reply as I fiddled with he hem of my robe as I looked at him hopefully. He stared hardly at me before sighing and rubbing the back of his neck. "Look," he said as he turned to face me ", I know you feel for Calvin because it is no secret between everyone- except for the vampire lord himself- and I respect that. But for the love of God, can't this wait tomorrow?"

I bit on my bottom lip as being scolded made my eyes sting for a bit but I held it in. I sniffled for a bit and didn't answer to that; Gustav sighed deeply and groaned before leaning on the wooden door. "He's in America," he said as I continued staring at the floor, cautious in case my eyes are shiny from tears. "He's dealing with some shit I'd rather not tell. It's best if you hear it from him before the day of acceptance or whatever shit he council said. He'd be back after a week."

I nodded and thanked him in a small whisper before running down the hall and shutting myself in my room before crying my eyes out. I burned red as I remembered my unprofessionalism towards Gustav and hope to see him soon to apologize; I am acting according to hormones and it is fùcking with my system like shit.

Harley Bracken, well, he's a different story. Apparently, he was kicked out of the apartment he and Rebecca had and the building collapsed. Courtesy of the rebellion, of course. Other than that, he told me Iris and Emile are thankfully alive and recovering so they could join our group sooner, hopefully. Now, for four straight days, Harley chose to accompany me over training-without Calvin's permission, may I add- and became my taste tester since I started baking.

Yes, I am bored out of my mind.

The small timer on my right rang, snapping me out of my trance and I opened the oven door before pulling the tray of cookies. The smell dominated the area and Harley groaned at the sight of it. "They look appetizing," he said as I laid it down and grabbed the chocolate syrup. He pressed a finger on one, deviating the surface which made me slap his hand away.

"They're not ready. It's either you wait or you train with Leo," I hissed at him and he immediately shook his head obediently. Leo is the manager in the training sessions of chosen lycan and vampire warriors in case of a war and may I say he doesn't favor lycans. It seriously made me wonder if he's really comfortable with me or I just grew up on him.

"No thank you," he said as he fanned the cookies for fast drying. I smiled at that and prepared my next batch of cookies. Soon, Harley and I wouldn't have realized it was already noon until Matilda and Diana shooed us off the kitchen to prepare for the lunch. Harley and I grumbled at that but obeyed and soon, we found ourselves into our next project in killing time: cookie jar decorating.