Guilt

"He will be okay...right, Allura?" Nova asked quietly, looking through the glass pod at Shiro. One hand rested on the glass where the paladin's stats were being monitored; her other hand tightly clasped Keith's. Shiro's complexion was pale and he was also missing his mechanical right arm below the shoulder.

"I will do everything I can," the Altean princess said with as much confidence as she could muster.

The Shiro that had been with them recently--they had found out--was Haggar's puppet. Through him, she had planted a virus on the Castle, nearly causing a devastating explosion with the teludav. Keith had fought with Shiro after discovering Haggar had many more clones of the Black Paladin at a secret facility. It had been an intense fight, Keith had severed Shiro's arm, and the whole of the facility was destroyed in their wake. Now, in the aftermath of everything, they just wanted their leader back.

Krolia, Keith, Nova, Allura, and Kosmo had remained in the Black Lion while the others ventured out to find a way to recharge the lions' cores after their fight with Lotor had drained them. Nova watched Shiro, desperate for any sign of movement. There was a chance that the clone's body would reject Shiro's consciousness but she tried not to think about that. She hadn't completely recovered from being Lotor's power source during their fight and she found herself tiring easily. Shifting her weight on her legs, she leaned for support on the pod.

Keith turned to her, concerned. "You need to be resting, you aren't back to full strength yet," he said, trying to direct her to sit down.

"I am fine," she said sharply, hardening her expression. "I'm not leaving him."

Keith felt a strange pang in his chest at her words and determination. He bit his tongue against a response, trying to focus on Shiro. The pod started beeping, and not in a good way. "What's going on?" the paladin asked, looking at Allura.

"Shiro's consciousness is not taking to the clone's body," she replied in a tone of hopelessness.

"You must be able to do something!" exclaimed Nova standing up straight, with no trace of tiredness from before.

Allura couldn't even meet their eyes. "I'm afraid...there's nothing I can do." Nova and Keith stood side by side, hearing her words but unable to process them.

Keith banged his fist against the glass. "Shiro! You have to fight," he sobbed.

Nova watched him, unable to understand the bond between the Red and Black paladins. Her heart hurt for Keith, but it also broke on her behalf as well. Shiro had always been with her, she just realized it too late. All those feelings she had for him had resurfaced. And now he was here, right in front of her. He was so close but at the same time, he was out of reach. How could she ever tell him how she felt if he didn't wake up?

"Shiro...please...don't leave us," Nova said, barely above a whisper, "...Not again." Just then, the pod began to beep again, gaining everyone's attention. The clear pod cover was removed as both Nova and Keith watched their friend with bated breath. Shiro stirred slightly before slowly opening his eyes.

"Keith," Shiro said, smiling. Keith didn't wait before embracing the Black Paladin in relief. When he let go, Shiro's eyes fell on the girl next to him. "Nova..."

Nova's eyes were wet with tears. "Shiro, I--" she said reaching for his hand. But as she took a step, her vision blurred and her legs gave out under her. She collapsed into Keith's arms, just as the others returned from their venture. Krolia helped support Nova's limp body as Keith helped Shiro sit upright.

"What happened?" asked Pidge, rushing to Nova's side.

"She just collapsed!" Shiro replied worriedly, trying to get up quickly. But Keith held him back.