Quintessence

"The civil war is continuing unhindered. There are many Galra forces leaving and joining other factions. Most of the deserters are pledging loyalty to Sendak. They're calling themselves 'the Fire of Purification.'" The paladins, Nova, and Lotor all listened intently to the debriefing from the Galra soldier back at Lotor's headquarters.

"Isn't Sendak the one who influenced Shiro to let him go when you all had him in custody?" Nova asked, looking over at the black paladin.

"Yes, and he poses a threat," Allura said angrily.

"I need to address all Galra and make my claim as emperor absolute," Lotor stated.

"And how are you going to start that?" asked Lance.

"Unfortunately it won't be easy. I need to come up with an alternative solution as I do not have a strong grip on the empire yet. Gaining access to the quintessence field will prove to be an important step."

"So want to focus all our energy on that?" Allura questioned.

"Is that wise?" Nova added. "There are planets out there who have been under Galra control for as long as they can remember."

"We cannot let the Galra Empire fall apart, as it is starting to," Lotor responded. "That is why the quintessence field should be priority." No one voiced any more opposition as Lotor prepared to address the empire.

---

"Do you think Lotor's speech will persuade the Galra?" Nova asked as she sat on a table, her right leg detached and setting on a second table, glowing under Pidge's tools.

"I hope so, but there's no way to know for sure," the Green Paladin responded, not looking up from her work.

"I don't agree with making the quintessence a priority," said Lance, who was leaned up against the far wall of the room.

"I don't either, but he is the one calling the shots," Nova agreed.

Lance shuddered. "Can you not agree with me? It feels weird."

Nova frowned, "I am allowed to have my own opinions."

"Not when they coincide with mine."

"Can you two shut up for minute!" Pidge raised her voice. "I'm almost done here."

"It didn't look that bad," Lance said, peering over at her work.

Nova scoffed. "That sword of yours is no joke. Next time we spar, maybe watch what you are doing."

"Next time we spar, I'll just knock you on your ass."

"Not before I knock you on yours."

"Done!" Pidge exclaimed, holding up Nova's leg. The metal had been beautifully repaired and there was no remnants of the tear. Nova placed her prosthetic limb back in place and gently got up off the table, testing it for stability.

"Good as new," Nova praised. Suddenly an alarm started blaring and the three of them met up with Lotor and the others on the bridge just as Lotor was ending a transmission with one of his men.

"What's happening?" asked Shiro.

"Sendak and his fleet are attacking one of our labor planets," explained Lotor.

"They need our help," said Pidge. "We need to get there immediately."

"Sendak's plan is to get me to neglect my empire to counter this attack," Lotor responded.

"Voltron can handle this," Allura stated. "You can stay here and continue to rule."

"But I need you here, Princess."