Power Down

Korrin stood, rooted to the spot as the Galra leader walked up to her, smirking. She was tall, imposing woman and she carried herself with confidence.

"Starburst, you're looking well," she said, giving Korrin a once-over with her piercing, yellow eyes..

"Captain Molnea," Korrin responded, scowling.

"Actually, it's Lieutenant, now."

"Is a fancy title supposed to impress me?"

Molnea chuckled mockingly. "Hardly." She turned to Slang. "I trust you to hold up your end of the bargain?"

"Here's the thing," Slang said, slowly making his way towards Korrin and the lieutenant. Korrin could see Molnea visibly stiffen, he guard up. "You failed to mention what a valuable specimen this girl was."

"That was on a need-to-know basis," Molnea said in a low voice, "And you didn't need to know."

"Perhaps you're right," he said, sidling up to Korrin, snaking a long arm around her neck and cupping her chin. "But you understand, then, why I can't simply...let her go." He sneered at the Galra, waiting to see her reaction.

Molnea snapped and drew her dual guns, firing at the Jattenese. Slang released Korrin in an instant and the two of them dove out of the way, ducking behind nearby desks.

"Get the girl! But don't damage the goods!" Molnea shouted at her posse. "I don't care what happens to the traitor."

"I have the key to the weapon; so either I get the girl, or I destroy it!" Slang yelled, holding Korrin's necklace in the palm of his hand. "For something so important, it seems quite fragile."

"I may just have to pry it from your cold, dead hand, then," Molnea responded, aiming her guns at him. "One way or another, I'm leaving with the key and the girl."

Korrin grimaced, noting her difficult position. Molnea's troop was closing in on her, she had to think fast. She sprinted out from her spot behind the desk, making her way towards Slang, dodging the blasts from Molnea.

"I plan on leaving this place with my piece and without either of you," Korrin said leaping onto a small table, then lunging at Slang, landing with her knees pinning him to the ground. In a swift movement, she snatched her necklace from him and jumped up. She made a break away from him but something tangled around her ankles and she fell to the ground. Clutching the necklace, she turned to see Slang's tail that had previously been hidden, wrapped around her feet. With her free hand, she tried to pry it off of her but the grip was too strong. The Jattenese quickly started to close the distance between them. Korrin reached for her metal rod at her waist but a sudden shot from behind her sent Slang reeling and his tail loosened around her leg. Before Korrin could get herself up, a strong grip roughly yanked her to her feet.

"I'm not letting some double-crossing weasel destroy our weapon," Molnea hissed as she put her gun away and secured Korrin's hands behind her back.

Korrin struggled against the restraints and Molnea's hold on her. "If you think I'll go quietly, you're mistaken!" Korrin said, lifting her foot and then bringing it down hard on Molnea's knee. Crying out, the lieutenant dropped down as Korrin sprinted away.

"Of course I knew you wouldn't go quietly, Starburst!" Molnea called. She brought out a remote and pressed a red button.

Immediately Korrin felt everything within her start to shut down and she collapsed to the ground. Her vision began to blur as she watched Molnea's boots make their way across the floor. She stooped down to look at Korrin, plucking the necklace from her weak grip. Korrin struggled with consciousness as her world went dark.

---

The sound of muffled voices and the faint glow of lights against her eyelids brought her back to consciousness. She tried to move her body but something was restraining her. As she opened her eyes, it took a minute before her vision came into focus. But immediately she realized where she was and remembered the events back on Jatten. Molnea had successfully caught her and now she was aboard the Galra's ship, once again lying on a table with metal restraints over her entire body. Flexing her hand, she tried to use her powers to slip out of the wrist restraints but nothing happened. She tried again, and again, and again. Still nothing happened. The door to the room opened and Molnea walked in.

"That won't work," she said, walking over to the table, her hands behind her back. "You didn't think I'd be prepared this time?"

"What makes you think I won't get away again?" Korrin said, remembering the few time Molnea had assumed she had successfully restrained the girl.

Molnea smirked. "I'm glad you asked. Our knowledge and understanding of you and how you work has expanded quite a bit since the last time we had you in our custody. And thanks to this," she held up Korrin's necklace, "We now have what we need to win this war."

"I refuse to let you use me as a weapon. That's not who I am," Korrin said tautly.

Molnea laughed. "Who? Don't make me laugh. You're not a who, you are a what. You were created for the sole purpose of destroying. You're not supposed to be human. You're emotions are a tool; everything about you is a tool." She leaned in close to Korrin's face. "You...are expendable." Molnea placed the necklace on Korrin's chest and watched as the look in her eyes changed to reflect a mix pain, sadness, and anger. However, her face remained neutral even as tears leaked from the corners of her eyes.

"Tears?" Molnea taunted. "This is a good thing." She picked the necklace up again and walked towards the door. "The war will be over soon, and it will be with your help, whether you like it or not."

The numbness came as the door closed and Korrin was left alone with her thoughts, just staring at the ceiling. If she had been wearing her necklace, perhaps she would be crying still. But all she could do was listen to the steady buzzing of the monitors in her room that were monitoring her body and the energy inside her. The numbness inside her made her body feel like she was heavy, made of lead, that even if she wanted to move, she couldn't. She thought of the innocent lives that would be affected if the Galra used her power. Planets like Olkarion would be destroyed, after they had just saved it from Zarkon's grasp. The paladins, Voltron, wouldn't be able to stop her. But no emotions stirred. She couldn't feel pity, or worry. She couldn't be sad for them. This is a hopeless situation, she thought, but she was unable despair. Perhaps there was a way to stall her captors. Closing her eyes, she focused on the power inside of her, coursing through her body. Slowly she suppressed it until she slipped into a comatose state.