Moving Forward

Emptiness. That's what the Paladins all felt, but no one would say anything.

"We should go back," said Shiro. Everyone turned to look at him, shocked.

"Are you crazy?" said Lance, "Why?"

Shiro balled his hand into a fist. "Because she could still be alive!" he said forcefully.

"That's not how supernovae work," said Pidge softly. "There are two types, Type I and II, respectively. If it was a type I, nothing would be left behind, everything would just be blasted across space. Type II is a little different in the way that usually it leaves something behind."

"So there's a chance..." said Shiro, eyeing Pidge.

The green paladin shifted her weight in her seat. "It's highly unlikely that she was a Type II, they're more uncommon..."

Shiro stood up. "Well we can't just sit around here. We have to go look for her."

"Shiro I know how you feel--" Allura said gently.

"Do you, Allura?" snapped Shiro. "Korrin has helped us in the past, you can't deny it."

"Has she helped, though?" Keith crossed his arms. "I remember you telling her to stay put almost every time she volunteered to help."

"Only when it was too dangerous!" argued the Black Paladin. "Look, without her, we wouldn't have discovered the Galra weaponizing stars."

"And that is what we need to focus on," said Keith. "The lieutenant on that ship got away and we need to find and stop her before she makes more of those monsters."

"Korrin wasn't a monster," Shiro said sharply, glaring at the Red Paladin.

Keith sighed, frustrated. "I wasn't referring to her. Look, even if we wanted to go back there to find her, it's too dangerous."

"Keith is right," Pidge chimed in. "Supernovae can last days, weeks, months, even years."

Shiro shook his head. "So we fly in the lions--"

"No, Shiro!" raged Keith, now fuming. "We aren't going to risk the universe's only hope on the slim chance that Korrin is still alive! We have other priorities! You heard what she said, the universe needs us, not her!" The room fell quiet. The only sound was the hum of the Palace drifting peacefully through space. Keith kept his eyes on the black paladin, chest heaving, waiting for a rebuttal. He knew Shiro was stubborn when it came to Korrin and it messed with his better judgement. Part of Keith was still upset at Korrin for lying to everyone and perhaps that was impairing his better judgement. He watched as Shiro walked out of the room without another word. Sighing, he walked over to Pidge. "Is there anyway to monitor the activity back at the supernova?" Pidge shook her head. "Damn it..."

Back in his room, Shiro sat on his bed, staring at the ground, wondering what he could've done differently.

"Don't do that."

Shiro looked up to see Keith standing in the doorway.

"Do what?"

"The 'what-if's' and 'if things had been different'...I've been there and it doesn't make things better."

Shiro just shook his head. Keith walked in and propped himself on the wall opposite his teammate.

"Look, things got heated back there. But I stand by what I said. We have other issues at hand. We are all upset in our own way about Korrin. It was unfortunate."

"You think my feelings are getting in the way."

Keith didn't answer immediately. "You're our leader Shiro. It doesn't mean you're not allowed to mourn or feel...just don't let it affect your decisions."

Shiro stood up, trying to keep from getting angry. "You know, back before Korrin could experience emotions, even she had more of a heart than you."

---

The doors to the control room opened, Shiro and Keith entered and took their seats. The tension between then was palpable but no one said a word.

"Alright team, we are going to find Molnea and make sure the Galra no longer weaponize stars." Shiro nodded to Allura.

"Where to, Shiro?" the princess asked, activating the teladuv.

"We need any information we can get," he answered. "Recon and undercover work is what we are going to have to do. So let's start by finding some Galra cruisers."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello lovely readers! Sorry for the short chapter! Was having writer's block at this time!