Connection

It had been about a week (Earth time) since Korrin had come into the company of the paladins. Keeping her abilities and her identity on the down low was becoming more difficult with each day. She felt like Shiro and Pidge, especially, kept a closer eye on her than the other. She knew she had to get out of there soon. Besides, all of them had important duties to the universe; while she just had to keep her head above water. There was no way they would have time to help her, even if she asked. Besides, Pidge would occasionally bring up the fact that her stats were a little off and start prying for more information. Until they looked normal, Korrin didn't think they would let her go regardless of how many times she reassured them she was okay.

She rubbed her temples, her thoughts making her head ache.

"You okay there?"

Korrin looked up from her spot near the window to see Keith approaching her.

"Uh, yeah. Just some stuff on my mind."

Keith came to a stop, his hands casually in his pockets. "Ah, I see. It wouldn't have anything to do with Pidge constantly nagging you about your stats would it?"

Korrin shrugged. "That's only part of it. I mean I don't exactly belong here. You guys have a job to do and I'm in the way of your legendary...ness..."

Keith laughed, "Oh is that what it's called?"

Korrin chuckled. "I may or may not be great with words." She looked out the window. "So what's next for the paladins of Voltron?"

The dark haired young man grew serious. "Well we still don't have an exact location on Zarkon. For now I think we are returning to the Balmera. We were there before but we have some more business to take care of."

"Isn't that like a living planet or something?"

"Yeah, kind of. It's weird. There are things out there that you wouldn't think to be a living creature, and yet it is."

Korrin lowered her eyes. "Yeah...weird." Korrin didn't know how long before they all headed to their next location. But one way or another, it was time for her to part with the paladins. She headed to the bridge of the Castle, hoping to find Allura and ask about a pod. When she reached the large doors, they opened and she found Allura and Shiro both talking to Coran, the helmsman. He appeared to be middle-aged, had red-orange hair and was sporting a rather large mustache. His face had similar Altean markings near his eyes like Allura. None of them seemed to notice Korrin enter the room so she cleared her throat.

Shiro looked over and smiled, motioning for her to join them. "I'm sorry we didn't notice you come in."

"If you guys are busy, I can come back later," Korrin said, looking between the three people.

"We were just discussing the Balmera," Allura smiled. "What can we help you with?"

Korrin wasn't sure that she wanted any of the paladins to know she was planning to leave; she had wanted to do it discreetly. But they find out eventually.

"I was hoping to ask you about a flight pod," Korrin said.

"Are you leaving so soon?" the princess sounded sad.

"Are you sure you're feeling well enough to leave?" Shiro added, concerned.

Korrin nodded. "I'm perfectly fine. I can't thank you enough for your help. And I cannot stay. You all have important business to take care of. I don't exactly belong here so I will only be in the way."

Both Shiro and Allura were quiet for moment, understanding her points but neither really wanting her to leave.

"If this is what you wish, I can see no reason to stand in your way," Allura said. Shiro looked at her, hoping she would've said something to make her stay.

"I can help you get the pod ready," Shiro said, a tone of defeat in his voice. He led her down the halls, only the sound of their boots clicking on the ground.

"You sure you want to go?" Shiro asked, trying to convince her to stay. Even though there was something off about her, he had--oddly enough--come to enjoy her company.

Korrin nodded. "I told you, I have to. I don't have much of a purpose here."

"And you do out there?"

"At least I have something to do out there. I've been doing it my whole life."

"Being a pirate?"

Korrin frowned at the. "Not exactly what I would call it."

"Really? Then what would you call it?" Shiro's tone sharp. When Korrin didn't respond he shook his head. "See?"

"Look, it's not like I pillage honest people!" Korrin started to sound aggravated. "Most places I go are abandoned. And only occasionally do I take a risk on an occupied vessel. And they're usually thieves."

"So what does that make you?"

Korrin smirked. "An aquirer of things."

"Same thing." Shiro's answer was short. When they got to an elevator, the doors opened and they got in. "Are you happy with doing that?"

Korrin remainded quiet. What did happiness feel like? She didn't know.

"I'm content."

Now it was Shiro's turn to be quiet. But he studied her out of the corner of his eye. He and Pidge's suspicions hadn't ceased since day one. The doors of the elevator opened once more to the hangar. He led her over to a small flight pod, opened it up and got it started. Hopping back down to the ground, he turned to Korrin who was examining her new mode of transportation.

"Hey," he said, getting her attention, "if you ever want to come back and...just hang out, I've programmed the castle to your GPS. So wherever you are, you should be able to find us."

"Thanks, Shiro."

"I mean it, Korrin." He placed his metal hand on her shoulder to prove it.

Suddenly Korrin felt something inside her unlatch and a strange feeling of pain coursed through her. She clutched her chest and backed away out of Shiro's reach. As soon as Shiro's hand left her shoulder, the pain subsided and she stood up, trying to figure out what just happened.

"Korrin, what's wrong?" Shiro asked, concern and worry in his eyes. He extended his hand again but she held up hers to stop him.

"I don't know what just happened, but I would rather not do it again," she said, wanting now more than ever to get away from there. "I need to go now."

Without another word, she jumped into the pod and fired up the controls. She saw Shiro's confused expression as she zoomed out of the bay, anxious to be in the open space.

When she had been flying long enough to be out of the castle's range, she stopped the pod. Leaning back in her chair, she replayed the event right before she had left. Instinctively she put a hand on her chest again. What was that pain she had experienced? It had felt like a dull pain, like there was an emptiness inside her. It felt sad. Her eyes widened. She had felt something. But why? The moment Shiro touched her...that was when it happened. But what did that connection mean...?