Emotions

Happened for a reason. Allura's words floated at the front of Korrin's brain as she soaked herself in the hot bath. Does everything happen for a reason, she kept asking herself as she watched the ripples. She looked at her hands. Did I happen for a reason? She watched the water as it trickled down her bare skin, her mind replaying events from her past.

***Several years ago...***

"Mom why is this happening!?" a young Korrin exclaimed, her hands shaking.

"Korrin, you have to calm down, or it will make it worse," her mother responded in an easy tone. She was helpless as she was suspended in midair several feet off the ground, her daughter at the center of the situation. Of course she was terrified but she didn't dare show it. The air around her began compressing as Korrin got more upset, and she felt her body being squeezed tightly. "Korrin, Korrin look at me," she said with a little bit of force. The girl looked up at her and held her gaze. There was no emotion in her face, but her eyes showed the fear she could not feel. "Remember what we learned. Deep breaths, focus on the space around you."

Korrin nodded taking long deep breaths and closing her eyes. She felt her body begin to relax, her hands stopped shaking, and the space around her returned to normal, her mother falling to the ground. "Mom!" she ran over to her and knelt beside her. She breathed out as her mother sat up.

"You're getting better," she smiled, cupping her daughter's cheek, trying to focus on the fact that Korrin had managed to stop it instead of focusing on how she started it in the first place.

"I'm getting stronger," Korrin said in a low voice, sounding agitated. "And I can't control it any more. What happens the next time? I could kill you!"

"I won't let--"

"They're here! Grab the girl!" Sudden shouting came from outside and several men burst through the door, their weapons aimed at Korrin and her mother.

"Korrin, run!" her mother shoved her daughter towards the back door.

"Mom, no!" Korrin hesitated, she didn't want to leave.

"I said run! And don't turn around!"

The severity in her mother's voice was enough to convince her to do as she was told. Without turning around, Korrin bolted for the back door. She burst through the door only to be captured by the men she was trying to outrun.

"No! Let me go! Let me go!" she struggled against the strong arms that held her tightly in place.

"Stop resisting and this will all be over soon enough," her captor said in a gruff voice.

"You let my mom go!"

"Your mother will be fine as long as--"

Bang! A deafening gunshot came from inside the house. Korrin immediately froze, all energy draining from her body. She heard the man holding her say something about her mother not complying.

"Let's get this thing back to HQ," said another man, gesturing at Korrin. "It needs to be dealt with accordingly."

At his words, something snapped inside the young girl. She felt the energy coursing through her like a broken dam. It pulsed inside her as if trying to burst out. The space around them began to vibrate intensely. She felt every bit of her power expanding to its full capacity. She became deaf to the screams and cries of the panicked men around her. Her fuchsia eyes began to glow a bright pink and her vision blurred. She didn't even try to control it. Letting the energy from inside her rage around in the surrounding space was the release she needed. Everything was reaching its peak when a sharp force embedded itself in her neck. In an instant, her world went dark.