Overcoming the Past

There are time it seems to me
I'm sharing you with memories
I feel it in my heart, but I don't show it, show it
Then there's times you look at me
As though I'm all that you could see
Those times I don't believe it's right, I know it, know it

Don't make me promises, baby, you never did know how to keep them well
I had the rest of you, now I want the best of you; it's time to show and tell

– “All Or Nothing” by O-Town

Chapter 42: Overcoming the Past

            Several weeks ago, I had committed to attending the NFL season opener at Lambeau. The Super Bowl champion Packers were facing off against the Saints. I was uneasy about seeing the Saints play, but I really wanted to see them defeated. Maybe then I could finally move on. Plus, Cooper was also flying out to Green Bay to watch the game, and it would be good to see him.

            My flight was Wednesday afternoon, the day after the Patriots’ picnic. I skipped out of my other classes after lunch so that I could make it to my office to let everyone know where I would be going, since I neglected to do so earlier. I made a brief announcement to everyone on the field and then went off to the sideline in case any of them wanted to chat.

            Perhaps I should have left then, for the only player I saw coming towards me was Tom, and he did not look happy. I forced myself to retain my cool as I said casually, “What’s up?”

            “Why are you going to the game?” he asked, his arms crossed and a small frown on his face.

            I held in a sigh. “I told you I wanted to go to a game at Green Bay this year. I need to see if I can ever return there and fit in again. The sooner, the better, right?”

            “But they’re playing the Saints. You hate the Saints. Why would you want to go through that again?”

            I could not meet his hard gaze, so I looked off to the side. “It’s not like the game is in New Orleans. Cooper is going to be there, and I already told him I was going…”

            “Is he the only one expecting you?”

            The question caused me to snap my head in his direction. “Aaron is the one who invited me, so he is expecting me. So what?”

            “I just don’t think it’s a good idea. You should wait a bit.”

            I crossed my arms and raised my eyebrows. “Why? Give me a legitimate reason and I’ll consider it.” He was starting to annoy me with his blanket, irrational prohibitions. If something was really bothering him, he should state the reason.

            Tom cast his gaze to the ground and did not say anything, though I could tell he wanted to.

            I let out a small sigh as my anger evaporated. My frustration stemmed from not knowing what was going on with him, and it almost saddened me that he would not tell me. “Fine,” I said softly. “I’ll see you this weekend. Take care of yourself, Tom.” Then I turned and headed for my truck.

---

            I arrived in Green Bay in the early evening. Cooper had gotten there a bit earlier, and the two of us were sharing a hotel room. He had come alone because his kids were not able to miss school for the game. Arriving at the room, I knocked to be polite before entering.

            Cooper was sitting on the couch watching TV, but he turned it off and leapt to his feet when he saw me. “Lauren!” he said with a grin. “How are you doing?”