In the Shadows

This is the last time
That I'm ever gonna give in tonight
Are there angels or devils crawling here?
I just want to know what blurs and what is clear to see

Well, I can see the pain in you
And I can see the love in you
And fighting all the demons will take time
It will take time

– “Angels or Devils” by Dishwalla

Chapter 27: In the Shadows

            The Patriots played the Steelers in Pittsburg on Sunday night. I knew the Steelers were a great team, especially at home, but the Patriots did often find a way of beating them. It was a bit cool out, so I wore my new Patriots sweatshirt along with my cap as I stood on the sideline. The Steelers had always annoyed me (maybe because they warred with the Packers about who had the better fans and tradition), so I was really hoping for a win.

            Brady seemed to have the same feelings as me. He appeared emotional all throughout the first half, screaming during huddles and yelling at linemen for penalties. He was likely even more unhappy than I was about the previous week’s loss.

            New England had a 10-3 lead by the second half. They started off the third quarter strong with a touchdown covering 78 yards in 10 plays. Rob caught the touchdown pass, and it was his second that game. The Steelers could not get anything going that quarter, and at the end, Brady ran three yards for a touchdown. The score stood at 26-3.

            The Steelers finally got a touchdown at the beginning of the fourth. Soon after, however, their quarterback threw a pass that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. The Steelers responded by getting one more of their own. They were not going to give up without a fight.

            Both teams succeeded at getting one more touchdown, the Patriots coming from another pass to Rob. The Patriots’ field goal at the end sealed the game. They won 39-26. Everyone on the team, including me, was ecstatic.

            Brady and Rob were both surrounded by teammates and photographers on the field, so I patiently waited to approach them. They were both grinning by the time they reached the sideline. “Hey,” I said, intercepting them, “that was an amazing game. Both you were awesome.” And that was not even putting it strongly enough. The two of them had been outstanding.

            “Thank you, Lauren,” Rob said happily.

            Brady looked at me with his eyebrows raised. “Both of us?”

            I smirked. “Sure. The ball doesn’t throw itself, you know.”

            He grinned at me. “Thanks. I hope you’re ready for next week.”

            The next game? Oh… the Colts were coming to town. I had almost forgotten. “Yep, great rivalry weekend. You’re talking about the Vikings-Packers game, right?”

            Brady blinked. “Yeah, that’s the game I’m talking about.”

            I attempted to smirk before turning away. Truthfully, I had been trying not to think about the Colts game. I felt like planning for it would be useless and it would take away my enjoyment of the other games.

            Right now, I was happy. I looked up at the stands, rolling my eyes at how empty they now were. “So not the best fans in the NFL,” I quipped. Smiling, I headed for the tunnel.

***

            Monday was a good day. Tuesday looked promising as well. I lay on my back on the couch in the afternoon reading a book for my social psychology class. I found the subject quite fascinating, and I was sure I could use it in my job. I was so absorbed in my reading that I almost did not notice when there was a knock on the door. I stopped and blinked to make sure I heard correctly. There was another knock.