Dragging On

I told myself don't get attached
But in my mind I play it back
Spinning faster than the plane that took you

And this is when the feeling sinks in
I don't wanna miss you like this
Come back... be here, come back... be here
I guess you're in New York today
I don't wanna need you this way
Come back... be here, come back... be here”

– “Come Back… Be Here” by Taylor Swift

Chapter 38: Dragging On

            My school held a semi-formal Valentine’s Day dance on Saturday the 12th. Freya was buzzing with excitement because she had been asked by a guy she had been crushing on all year. She insisted I find a date and join her so we could both have “fun.” Rob was not living for New York until Monday, so I convinced him to go with me. Not that I needed to do much convincing; he loved dances.

            I did not take pleasure in dressing up like my roommate, but I could do it if I wanted to. Still, I felt the two of us took much too long getting each other ready that night. I wore a royal blue spaghetti strap dress with cutout sides accented with stone trim and a high low skirt. It was great for dancing. I also wore the silver Patriots necklace Tom had given me for Christmas. I put my curly hair in a side ponytail, and I wore blue flats.

            I had found my dress in my closet, while Freya had bought hers just for the occasion. Hers was a neon pink strapless dress with a stone trim that continued down to accent her waist. She demonstrated how the skirt was excellent for twirling. She put on silver heals and long, silver earrings. She curled her hair slightly to give herself soft waves and organized it in a half updo. According to her, we both looked fantastic.

            “Are you excited?” Freya asked as we made our way from the bathroom to the living room.

            I shrugged. “I guess so.” I did enjoy dancing from time to time. It was great exercise. “Rob is a fun guy to be with.”

            “I bet you wish it was Tom taking you, though,” she said with a small smirk.

            I rolled my eyes. “Why would I wish that? If anything, I would wish it was Aaron.”

            Freya frowned. “You should choose Tom.” Before I could protest that there was not a choice to be made, there was a knock on the door, and she rushed off, leaving me in the living room. A few seconds later, I heard her say in a disappointed voice, “Oh, hey, Rob.”

            “It’s good to see you too, Freya,” Rob said in a joking tone.

            I smiled as I made my way over to the door. Rob was wearing a nice blue shirt and slacks. “Hi, Rob. You look nice.”

            He grinned at me. “Thanks! You look beautiful.” He glanced at Freya. “So do you.”

            Freya smiled slightly. “Thanks. I’m just waiting for my date.”

            “He’s a lucky guy.” He then looked at me. “We’ll wait too.” All three of us walked into the living room and sat down on the couch.

            We did not have to wait long. Freya jumped up from her seat when there was a second knock on the door. Rob laughed, and I smirked knowingly. We stood up and followed her to the door.

            “Jamie!” Freya exclaimed.

            The boy at the door smiled coolly at her. He had blue eyes and brown hair that had been smoothed back. He wore a red shirt, black tie, and black sports jacket. “Good evening, Freya,” he said politely.