Indianapolis

"Tell me how I'm gonna make it

You're the one I can't forget

It's like I'm running in slow motion

In a nightmare that never ends

When I try to face it, when I wake up

I hate the way reality sets in

God, I wish you could hold me

Through the seven days of lonely"

– "Seven Days of Lonely" by I Nine

Chapter 56: Indianapolis

The plane ride to Indianapolis the following Sunday went by painfully slow. For once, I was glad that I sat with the rest of the staff. They mostly ignored me, while the players would have given me awkward looks. And I especially did not want to run into Tom. I was still trying to sort out everything that had happened between us recently, still finding it nothing short of unbelievable.

I texted Peyton as soon as our plane landed in Indianapolis. I was grateful for the location of the Super Bowl. Either way, my brothers would be there to support Eli, but it was comforting to be in a city my eldest brother knew so well.

Upon arriving at the hotel, I quickly put my luggage in my room and then headed to the lobby to hear Coach Belichick give everyone a quick speech.

Everyone was about to disperse when the sound of the lobby door opening caught my attention. I brightened upon seeing who stood there. "Peyton!" I ran over to him and embraced him, glad to be with a family member again.

"Hey, Lauren," Peyton said lightly. "Do you want to go see the city and get something to eat?"

Before I could answer, Tom's scathing voice flowed across the room: "No. You can't go with the enemy."

I turned to him and rolled my eyes. Everyone was staring at us, waiting to see what would happen. "You're back to that? He's not the enemy. The Super Bowl is just in his city."

"But he's supporting the Giants. We can't have you leaking any information."

"You know I wouldn't do that!" I snapped. I would have continued the argument, but I did not want to do so with an audience, which would only favor his side of the story. I turned to Belichick. "Can I go with him, coach?" Even Tom wouldn't be able to go against his decision.

"Of course," Belichick said calmly. "I trust you."

My shoulders relaxed in relief while Tom turned away, annoyed. "Come on." I grabbed Peyton's arm so we could leave, but he stood in place, his eyes firmly fixed on his rival.

"What's going on, Tom?" he said in a steady voice. "This isn't like you."

"You know nothing about me," Tom snapped. "Stay out of my business."

Peyton appeared unfazed. "That's not going to work with me, Tom. It's not me you're made at, and I don't think it's Lauren either. I know something's wrong, and I want to know what it is."

Tom turned around so his back was facing Peyton. "You give me too much credit," he said in a low voice.

Something deep down told me to be sympathetic, but I had been hurt too much to give it much credence. I tugged on Peyton's arm. "This is nothing you need to be concerned about. Let's go."

"Lauren?" Rob looked anxiously from Tom to me.

I felt bad for him. It must be hard on him to have two of his fiends fighting. "It's alright, Gronk," I said gently. "You should look after him."