The Saints Go Marching In

We feel the rush, and we feel the pain
Nothing's gonna stop us like a runaway train
We'll never break, no, we'll never bend
Gonna keep fighting until the end
More pumped up than we've ever been
Never give up, no, we never give in

– “Rock Hard or Go Home” by Iron Weasel

Chapter 12: The Saints Go Marching In

            The Giants’ last game of the season was against the Vikings in Minnesota. I did not feel as torn as I thought I would be because the Giants were already eliminated from the playoffs. The Cowboys and Eagles would be going to the playoffs, unfortunately. The Colts would be in the playoffs with the Vikings, but I would only have to worry about them playing each other if they both got to the Super Bowl. What were the chances of that happening? If just one of them made it I would be really happy.

            I felt energized as I waited for the players to finish warming up for the game. I had not seen my uncle since the last Packers game. This one was going to have a little different feel to it. The outcome did not matter much for the Giants, but if the Vikings won and the Cowboys beat the Eagles in their afternoon game, Minnesota would earn the second seed and lock up a first round playoff bye.

            I did not have to jog over to the other side of the field today. This time, I saw Brett making his way over to me. I felt a surge of excitement as he approached. He was taking his team to the playoffs, and they had a real chance at the Super Bowl. Best of all, he was having a lot of fun.

            “Hello, Lauren,” Brett said with a grin on his face. He moved forward and hugged me.

            I smiled as I hugged him back. “Hey, Uncle Brett. Are you ready?”

            “Of course I am.” He glanced down at my Eli Manning jersey. “You’re supporting the Giants this time?”

            “I figured I better since it’s my last game with them,” I said with a shrug. “But I would still be happy if you won.”

            “Brett,” Eli said as he walked over to us, “how are you doing?”

            Brett turned to him and smiled. “I’m good. How are you, Eli?” They clasped hands. “Are you keeping Lauren out of trouble?”

            “I’m great,” Eli said. He glanced at me and smirked. “I’m managing, but she’s tough.”

            I rolled my eyes. “Haha. I do not get into trouble.”

            “What do you call running off to the Patri-”

            “That was one game!” I snapped. “And it wasn’t in Foxborough.”

            “But you’re thinking about going there?”

            “Really?” Brett said, a look of amusement on his face.

            “It’s not funny,” I muttered. Did they not appreciate how hard this was for me? I had a difficult decision to make and not just because I had multiple options.

            “Of course it’s not,” Brett, said, though he was still grinning. “Anyway, will you be joining me for the playoffs?”

            I was relieved by the change of topic. I could not help but smile at my uncle as I replied, “You be. It’s going to be awesome.”

            “It sure will be. Well, I should be going.” He glanced at Eli. “Good luck today, buddy.”

            Eli smiled at him. “Good luck to you too.”