The Great Return

Waking up, I see that everything is OK
The first time in my life, and now it's so great
Slowing down, I look around, and I am so amazed
I think about the little things that make life great

I wouldn't change a thing about it
This is the best feeling

This innocence is brilliant
I hope that it will stay

– “Innocence” by Avril Lavigne

Chapter 40: The Great Return

            My summer break passed as quickly as it had arrived. In early June, my brothers and their families gathered at Brett’s ranch for a visit. We all had a good time, and we agreed we would try to meet up again around Christmas. Then, at the beginning of August, I left for Foxborough. Brett decided to drive alongside me since he had nothing to do and he had never seen my apartment.

            I found Freya waiting for us inside. As soon as I opened the door, she jumped up from the couch and rushed to greet us. “Lauren!” she exclaimed. “Welcome back.”

            I grinned and hugged her. “Thanks. It’s good to be back.” After pulling away, I nodded at Brett, who stood beside me. “This is Brett Favre, my guardian. Brett, this is my roommate, Freya.”

            Brett held out his hand. “I’m pleased to meet you, Freya.”

            My roommate smiled as she shook his hand. “It’s nice to meet you. Lauren has told me a lot about you.”

            “I hope it was all good,” Brett said in a joking manner.

            “Mostly,” Freya said with a small smirk. She then glanced at me. “Do you need help moving back in?”

            I nodded. “Yes, that would be great. Thanks.”

            Since I had left most of my stuff besides my clothes in the apartment over the summer, it took relatively little time for the three of us to unpack what I had left. When we finished, we all sat on the couch to relax and take a break. It was now almost seven at night.

            “Would you two ladies like to go out for dinner?” Brett asked after a minute of silence passed.

            “That would be great,” I said right away, leaping up from the couch. “I’m hungry!”

            “Sure,” Freya said with a smile. “That sounds good.”

            I led the way to the door, saying, “Let’s go get some steak!”

            “I taught you well,” Brett said in amusement.

            Freya and I laughed.

***

            The next day was Sunday, and it was my first day of work. Brett had gotten permission to attend with me, so the two of us set off for the stadium that afternoon. My excitement began to grow as we got out the truck and walked towards the practice field. Brett was silent as I took the lead to show him the way, but he smiled at me knowingly.

            The players were on the field when we arrived, but they seemed to be finishing up with something. Bill Belichick noticed us and headed in our direction.

            “Hey, coach!” I said brightly. “How are you doing?”

            “I’m good, thank you, Lauren,” said Belichick. “Welcome back. Hello, Brett.” Before fully greeting him, he looked at me. “You can go talk to them if you want to.”