Green Bay

"Stood there and watched you walk away
From everything we had
But I still mean every word I said to you
He will try to take away my pain
And he just might make me smile
But the whole time I'm wishing he was you instead

Oh, I'm holding my breath
Won't see you again
Something keeps me holding on to nothing
"

– "Haunted" by Taylor Swift

Chapter 64: Green Bay

The one bedroom apartment was larger than any of the places I had shared with a roommate. Wisconsin was definitely a lot cheaper than the majority of the Northeast. Though I had made good friends by sharing an apartment, this time I wanted to be alone. I needed time to settle in by myself.

"It looks good!" Brett set, looking around at the now-furnished living room. I had allowed him to come with me to help me move in.

I nodded. "Yeah, thanks." There was so much room for so few people. My eyes swept over the TV and Xbox. There would be no Gronk to challenge me to games now. I wondered which Packers players enjoyed video games.

"Lauren? Are you okay?"

I glanced at me uncle to see him looking at me in concern. "Of course! I just-" My shoulders drooped. There was no use hiding anything from him. "It's just weird being back here, you know? Maybe I should not have made you come with me..." Just because I was ready to face this city did not mean the same was true of him.

Brett chuckled and messed up my hair with his hand. "You didn't make me do anything, Lauren. I wanted to be here for you. Don't worry about me. It's good to face your past."

I bit my lip and looked away. It was not the past I was worried about as much as the future. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I lifted my head to meet Brett's kind gaze.

"Don't forget about the friends you just made," he said. "Make sure you're running to something and not from something."

I nodded. "Thanks." That was what I was doing, right? It had to be. I was not running away from anything...

"Well, I should get going. Good luck with all your plans, Lauren. You know where to find me if you need me."

I forced a smile and clung to him in a tight hug. After he left, I would truly be alone. But that was what I wanted. It was time to start over. Time to move on.

***

As the days passed, I slowly grew into a routine. It was the beginning of the summer, so I did not have any work with the Packers yet. I reconnected with a few girlfriends I had known in high school, but talking to them felt different now. Most of the time, I busied myself by studying in my apartment or exploring the town on my own.

On the second of June, I was watching TV in my living room when I received a text from Aaron Rodgers. I smiled upon reading it: Hey, Lauren. I just got back to Green Bay.

I hurriedly texted him back. Do you usually return this early?

No, but I thought it would be nice to spend the summer with you.

My heart was warmed by his response. When do I get to see you?

Meet me for dinner tonight?

My heart sped up, and my hands shook as I responded. Sure. Where are we going? I wondered if he was asking me out on a date. Would he do that over text?