Division Games

How could you know
That behind my eyes a sad girl cried
And how could you know
That I hurt so much inside
How could you know
That I'm not the average girl
I'm carrying the weight of the world, yeah
So, can you get me out of here?

– “Over It” by Anneliese van der Pol

Chapter 29: Division Games

            “You know, I like your brother,” Freya said at dinner on Tuesday.

            I looked at her in slight surprise. “Peyton?” The statement seemed random. The significance of it sank in as I sat there.

            Freya smiled and nodded. “Yeah, he’s pretty cool. It was interesting seeing him in a setting besides football. I mean, I always respected him, but he was different than I thought he would be.”

            “Interacting with people overcomes biases and preconceived notions,” I explained, remembering what I had learned from social psychology. The concept seemed to play out a lot in football rivalries. “And thanks. He is cool. I’m glad you can admit that. Now you have to meet Eli.”

            Freya grinned. “Sure. Tell him to drop by anytime.”

            “Tell all your Patriots friends about Peyton. Spread the word.”

            My roommate laughed before smirking. “Sure.”

            I smiled as I returned to my food. I was glad that we had come to a mutual understanding. Patriots and Colts fans really were not all that different. I knew they could get along if they just talked to each other. I focused on this instead of the next game that I was trying hard not to bring to mind.

***

            It felt weird to be back at Ford Field, especially with a team that was not the Packers. It was not a bad weird, though. I was looking forward to seeing the Lions defeated by my team yet again. I smirked at the fans as I walked onto the field, headed towards the sideline. I had to admit, though, true Detroit fans were extremely loyal. I had to give it to them for sticking with their team for so long.

            Some of the Lions players who had been there for awhile looked over at me, and I simply smiled at them. The Lions had never been good enough to be real rivals. It just felt good to beat them.

            Rob approached me when he left the field after warm-ups. “This is going to be fun,” he said with a grin. “I’ve always wanted to play Thanksgiving football.”

            I smiled. “I’ve been in this situation many times. I do not believe my team has ever lost.”

            “We’ll try not to break that streak then.”

            “Good.” I did not doubt that they would not. There was no way the Lions were going to beat the Patriots. “Oh, happy Thanksgiving.”

            He smiled at me. “Happy Thanksgiving, Lauren.”

            The game turned out to be a good one. The Lions surprisingly led 17-10 at halftime. In the second half, however, the Patriots caught fire. Detroit only managed one more touchdown in the third quarter, while New England earned two touchdowns in the third and three in the fourth. They won 45-24.

            In addition, Tom Brady had a perfect game, the second of his career. His performance was one of the best I had ever seen from a quarterback. I knew I could no longer deny that he was a large part of why I loved this team. How could he not be? I had not had as much fun with a team since the Packers, and I had not enjoyed watching a quarterback so much since Brett Favre. There was obviously a correlation between the two. I may not have been ready to admit it out loud, but I quietly acknowledge it in my mind.