Could Be the Last Time

There's just too much hurt
Too much to forgive
Oh, but we both know
We weren’t always like this

Help me remember
The way that we used to be
When nothin' else mattered
‘Cause you were lovin' me
Just for the night, one last time
One more good memory

– “Help Me Remember” by Rascal Flatts

Chapter 30: Could be the Last Time

            The Metrodome roof collapsed on Sunday due to a major snowfall, so the Vikings had their game against the Giants in Detroit (because the Lions also had a dome) on Monday. So much for a home game. Brett did not start, and the Giants won 21-3. The Vikings were now officially eliminated from the playoffs. The image of the Metrodome roof collapsing epitomized the end of the Vikings’ – and Brett’s – once hopeful Super Bowl season.

            I tried to distract myself on Tuesday by watching funny videos on my laptop. It did not help much. I looked up when I heard the door open and saw my roommate enter the living room.

            “I was hanging with my friend who’s a Packers fan,” Freya began, “and she said Aaron Rodgers talked about you on the radio today.”

            My eyes widened in surprise. “What?”

            “I gave her your email so she could send you the clip. Check it out.”

            I frowned as I returned to my laptop. I opened up my email and downloaded the clip. Freya settled beside me as I opened it up. In the first bit of the clip, Aaron talked about the upcoming game against the Patriots, in which he would not be playing, and then I heard my name.

            “Yes, I was good friends with Lauren Manning when she and Brett Favre were with the Packers. I was friends with both of them, actually. I am sorry those friendships could not be sustained, and I feel I owe Lauren especially an apology. I let the situation get the best of me, and I ended up hurting her when I shouldn’t have. There is definitely fault on all sides with the whole ordeal. I’m sorry for the part I played. Lauren is a great person, and I wish her and the Patriots the best this Sunday.”

            I stared at the screen as the clip ended. He had apologized. He was sorry. For a minute, I did not feel anything at all. Then the familiar feeling of resentment took hold. “He should be sorry,” I said thickly. “He was wrong.”

            Freya seemed less certain. “He seems to be trying to reach out to you. Shouldn’t you talk to him and try to work it out?”

            I shook my head. “No. Maybe I can forgive him, but that doesn’t mean we can ever be friends again. Too much has happened. There is too much hurt on both sides, and it’s too late now. The best either of us can hope for is to part in peace.”

            Freya let out a long sigh. “If that’s what you think is best. What will you do if he tries to talk to you at the game?”

            “Ignore him. Or politely tell him to leave me alone.” Perhaps that was kind of mean, but I could not risk allowing myself to hear what he had to say. I was afraid that he would make me change my mind. I was finally starting to figure out my life, and I did not need him to come in and mess everything up.

***

            Thoughts of the upcoming game distracted me at work on Wednesday. When I was not talking to any of the players, I was pacing back and forth in the room trying to figure everything out. I stopped when there was a knock on the door. A second later, the person entered. It was Brady.