December 12th 1976

"What am I going to do?!" Sirius asked, a sad tone in his voice. It was early in the morning, and you were sitting in the Gryffindor common room with Lily and Sirius. The embers from last night's fire, still glowing in the dark room as the only light source for at least another hour.

You didn't know what time it was, but if you had to guess, you'd say around six o'clock. 

"How about you start with telling us WHAT. YOU. DID." Lily said calmly, though still managing to sound threatening, as usual.

"Listen." Sirius said, annoyed. "I can't tell you. Okay? I promised Remus and I don't want to disappoint him again."

"But Sirius," you started, "how do you expect us to be able to help you, if we don't know what's happened?" 

"Fine!" Sirius exclaimed, annoyed and crossed his arms. "I only told Snape what he wanted to know, okay? He deserved it for how he's acted towards us, towards you guys." 

Lily sighed. "Sirius. I know Severus has been a jerk, but endangering his life isn't right. Okay?" You nodded in agreement. "Lily's right Padfoot. Just 'cause he's been acting like a bloody idiot, doesn't mean you have to." 

Sirius sighed deeply. And then, he broke into tears.

You'd never seen him cry before. The crazy, proud, Gryffindor, was crying.  It made you want to cry too. Especially once you saw the tears streaming down his face, as he so desperately tried to hide it with his hair. 

It was silent for a bit before Sirius stopped crying, for a few seconds at least. He lifted up his head and looked at you and Lily.

"Merlin's beard, you're right." He let out through silent sobs, now crying a little again. "I've been a horrible friend... And now James is unconscious and Remus can't even look at me."

You smiled a little, relieved that he'd realized his mistake. Then you moved to sit next to him on the couch. 

"I have a prefect's shift tonight with Remus. I can talk to him for you." You rubbed his shoulder in small circles, hoping it would make him feel better.

"That's actually a good idea, N/n!" Lily exclaimed, rushing up to stand next to the couch. "Sirius, you can tell her what you want to tell Remus, and then she can tell him for you!"

Sirius sniffled a bit and looked up. "Are you sure it'll work?" 

You and Lily both nodded, looks of empathy on your faces, before you hugged Sirius.

"Thanks you guys," Sirius smiled as you let go of each other. 

"However," You started. "You do have to apologize to Remus sooner or later."

Lily nodded, and added: "Yeah. All Y/n can try to do is make Remus listen to you."

Sirius smiled again, shyly this time. 

"Thank you. I will."

***

In the evening, Remus was already at the portrait, waiting for you, when you arrived. "Hey Rem," you greeted in a tired voice. "How are you?" You asked, involuntarily sounding like a concerned mother, talking to her three-year-old son. 

"I'm... fine?" Remus responded, even though he didn't look fine. He had deep bags under his eyes, and it was obvious that he hadn't slept in days. He looked sick. But not the usual sick. He looked as if he no longer had a reason to live. A sad thought. A scary thought crossed your mind, but it flew away as Remus looked into your eyes and gave you a reassuring look.

Time went by quickly, with you stuck in your head that was full of panicking thoughts. How were you going to do this? You were already in the far end of the left-wing corridor. Your patrol was over soon and you were running out of time.

Say. Something. You thought to yourself. Anything. It was hard. Of course it was. How do you tell one of your best friends to stop being dramatic and just forgive someone? How do you make them talk to someone they hate? How do you convince them that they don't hate that person? That they're only acting out of anger? How do you-

"I know it's a little too late, but why did you ask how I was?" Remus suddenly said. Thank god. You could tell that he didn't like the silence either. Judging by how things were at the moment, you'd bet 10 galleons that none of you wanted to be alone with your thoughts right now. But then again, would it be better to talk about your thoughts? Or should you just abort your mission?

"I- uh..." You trailed off. "It's just because you're alone right now. The marauders have split up. It's... It's weird?" You finally managed to get out.

 Remus sighed.

"It's not weird." In the beginning, Remus sounded casual. "I mean, I just don't want to hang out with someone who'd endanger another person's life just because of a prank. Can you blame me for not wanting to hang out with such a fool?!" In the end, he sounded frustrated as he looked at you for some kind of confirmation that he was right. 

"Remus..." You let out shyly. "He is aware of what he did, and he's sorry. Trust me. There's nothing he regrets more than doing that."  You stopped walking, and looked Remus directly in the eyes, a hand on his shoulder.

Though it didn't seem to calm him down. At all. In fact, it seemed as if this conversation was doomed to go wrong from the beginning. There was no way he would want to talk openly about it.

"Sorry?! He's sorry?!" Remus sounded angrier and angrier with every word he said. "Sorry doesn't even cover what he did!!! Y/n. He sent James in the hospital wing, and if not James, then Snape. HOWEVER IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER BECAUSE NOW JAMES, ONE OF MY BEST MATES, IS UNCONSCIOUS IN THE HOSPITAL WING AND IT'S HIS FAULT!!! WHY SHOULD I FORGIVE HIM?! AND WHY THE BLOODY HELL ARE YOU EVEN MEDDLING!? CAN'T YOU JUST STAY OUT OF IT?!"

That was it. Remus had snapped. His breath was rapid and uneven, and in the darkness,  you could almost catch an animalistic snarl in his voice and a frustrated glimpse in his golden-brown eyes.

You angrily removed your hand from his shoulder, and responded coolly: "It was an honest accident, Remus. I know it's a huge accident, but there's nothing more to do." 

You gave him an angry, hurt look.

"And just so you know, it isn't just your best mate who's in the hospital wing. It's also my brother."

You gave him a disappointed look before storming off, Remus' sad gaze stuck in your head. The look on his face when he'd realized he'd snapped.

When he realized he had hurt you.