March 10th 1977

The boys' dorm had been decorated nicely, with balloons hung from the beds, and garlands hung so close together one could barely see through them. Any minute now, Remus and James would walk through the door, so it had to be perfect.

You knew Remus didn't like attention, so you had planned a nice party with few people. Those few people being The Marauders, Lily, you and Frank (because it was his dorm too). You'd gotten the house-elves in the kitchen to bake a chocolate cake, Remus' favourite, and Lily had placed everyone's presents on Remus' bed. You'd gotten him a new jumper which you were sure he would love. 

"Peter, please don't eat the cookies beforehand!" Lily exclaimed, rushing towards Peter who was already holding two or three of them in his hands.

"Nervous?" Sirius stood next to you, shooting you a knowing smile. "What? No?" You said, shooting him a confused look. "Why would I be nervous?" You poured yourself a glass of water, taking a sip. "Because you obviously like him." This made you choke on your water. You coughed and coughed, and Sirius looked worried for a moment.

"No I don't!" You whispered once you'd gotten ahold of yourself. "Oh... You don't? Well okay... I just thought it would be nerve-racking for you to see his soulmark. To see if it has anything to do with.... you." He gave you a smug look. 

"I do not. like. Remus." You whispered, loudly. 

"Fine." Sirius answered. "Then tell me why you're whispering."

He left you to go talk to Frank. Merlin. Did you like Remus? Sirius seemed to be sure of it. Were you that obvious? 

Your thoughts were cut off as James entered the room, doing a fake fanfare,

"May I present to you, the honoured birthday-marauder. MOONY!" He laughed before stepping aside, letting Remus come in. "Surprise!" James yelled. Remus smiled, looking thankful. "This is... wonderful. Thanks, guys!" He went around the room, hugging each of you, and you could've sworn that Remus hugged you a second or two longer than he'd hugged the others.

Dammit. What Sirius said had gotten to your head. You definitely liked Remus. But did he like you?

You spent the afternoon fidgeting with everything your hands got near. For the first time ever, you seemed to actually be aware of how much you liked Remus. You would read into everything he did, hoping it meant something. When he walked around the room, you couldn't tear your eyes from him. You couldn't even decide whether you wanted to keep eye contact when he talked to you, or look away. He seemed so comfortable doing it. Looking you directly in the eyes. As if you didn't like him. As if the two of you hadn't kissed three times already. 

"PRESENT TIME!" Sirius exclaimed, just as Remus had sat on a bed. He tossed Remus a present and told him to open it, making Remus laugh a little. "Ok..." He shook the box lightly. "It's from me." Frank stated. Remus nodded and opened the box to reveal a wooden book mark with a red and gold ribbon on one end. "Thank you, Frank." 

For a moment, you were lost in thoughts. Remus seemed to grow more and more silent, the longer you celebrated. He'd started out being happy, you assumed. But now? He was relatively silent. Thanking Frank, giving him a melancholic smile. Not saying a lot more than "Thank you" or "Ok" when he opened Sirius' and James' gifts too.

"Y/n?" Lily's voice cut through your thoughts. "This last gift, it's from you? Right?" You snapped back to reality, noticing that your gift was the only one left to be opened. "Yeah..." You nodded, still a bit lost. Remus reached to get the box. You had been extra careful, wrapping it in red wrapping paper. You'd also added a golden ribbon around it.