April 1st 1977

"Today will be a practical lesson." Professor Solomon spoke, pacing back and forth at the front of the DADA classroom. "Behind me, you will see a chest of drawers. In it resides a boggart." He walked up to the piece of furniture, getting out his wand. "Does anyone know what a boggart is?" 

Lily confidently put her hand up, and the professor picked her. "A boggart is an amortal being with the ability to shapeshift. When facing a boggart, it is best to be more than one person as the boggart assumes the form of whatever most frightens the person who encounters it. Being more than one person will confuse the boggart, since facing more than one person at once will make it indecisive towards determining what form it should take, resulting in a not frightening combination of the victims' fears."

"Correct. Five points to Gryffindor." Professor Solomon praised her before continuing. "The best way to get rid of a boggart is by using the charm, Riddikulus. It forces the boggart to turn into a figure of fun, so that fear can be dispelled in amusement. However, it takes a good amount of concentration to force the boggart to turn into a shape you find amusing, so give it your best. Now, try to say it with me while doing the same wand-movement."

"Riddikulus."

Sirius and James snickered behind you, whispering childishly. "That Siriusly sounds riddikulusly hilarious!" You mentally sighed at the two, but you couldn't help but laugh a bit anyway.

"Now, who wants to try it? Get in a line." Professor Solomon prepared to open the chest of drawers, while a brave hufflepuff decided to get in the front of the line.

The professor flicked his wand, making the boggart step out of the chest of drawers in the form of a panther? Well... you didn't want to judge the hufflepuff's fear, as it seemed very justifiable. The panther let out a loud growl as the shaking hufflepuff yelled out; "Riddikulus!"

The panther looked around confused for a moment, before it began shrinking. In a matter of seconds it was no longer a giant, black panther, but instead, a tiny pink kitten with polka dots. It made a couple of people laugh, as Professor Solomon gave the student house points.

"Next up, Mr. Black." 

Sirius' smile dropped as he cautiously stepped forward to face the boggart. He braced himself, as did you. You gave Remus and Lily a worried look, knowing what was about to happen. The boggart immediately assumed the form of Sirius' worst fear.

Walburga Black.

"You are a disgrace to this family! The worst son a mother could ever get. You are a disappointment. I never want to see your face ever again. You are a disgrace to this family-"

It kept saying the same sentences over and over again, making Sirius unable to utter the charm. He broke down, not saying a word, simply looking down, his hair covering his face. You were a little disappointed as Professor Solomon didn't step in, and you were about to say something when Marlene walked up to Sirius. She took his hand, and yelled out; "Riddikulus!" 

The boggart immediately turned into Walburga dressed in the most ridiculous outfit you'd ever seen. She was dressed as a clown, with the red nose and crazy hair. The class laughed and the boggart looked confused. Sirius sniffled, hugging Marlene fiercely before quickly stepping to the back of the room with Marlene following him.

The class was quiet. So quiet, that one would be able to hear a needle fall to the ground. 

***

After some time, the lesson had continued as it would normally, with every student getting their turn. Except Remus. He kept making excuses for letting people get in front of him in line, and he was acting all weird.