August 1st 1976

A/n

N/n means nickname, just FYI :)

________________________________________________________________________________

"Y/n, would you put this mattress in your room for Lily?"

The Potters' home was bustling with excitement as your mother was making everyone help get the house ready for guests. Today, Lily and Peter would visit you, and stay with you till the holiday was over.

"Sure." You took the large mattress and struggled to get it upstairs. On your way to your room you swiftly looked into James' room. Sirius was standing by the door laughing, and you joined him as you noticed how much James was struggling with fitting two additional mattresses next to Sirius' mattress and his bed. How James would make room for four people to stay in his room was a riddle for you.

You then walked into your room and placed the mattress on the floor and began putting a clean bed sheet on it. Merlin, you just couldn't wait for Lily to arrive! It had been weeks since you last saw each other, and you really longed for a good talk. Who knew a month could feel this long?

You looked at the clock on your wall. 11:43 AM. Ugh. Lily and Peter wouldn't arrive until 14:00 PM. "Children! Lunch is ready!" Luckily, food was always a good distraction so your mother's timing was just perfect. At that, you noticed your stomach giving you a small grumble to announce how hungry you actually were, so you rushed down into the kitchen.

***

You were in the middle of reading a book when you heard your father yell from downstairs. "James! Y/n! Sirius! They're here!" You headed downstairs with the biggest grin on your face. It became even bigger as you passed your father, reached the door, and saw a redheaded girl smiling just as much as you were. Next to her, a short boy with short blonde hair, Peter. Sirius and James ran past you and tackled Peter in a group hug. "I've missed you!" You were positively beaming as you embraced Lily. "How have you been?" Lily giggled lightly as you pulled apart. "I've been okay. God I missed you!" She looked joyful as she stroked a strand of red hair away from her face. "Come on in then!" You rejoiced.

You smiled brightly before pulling her indoors and up to your room.

"You can put your suitcase there" you gestured towards a spot in the corner of your room, "and you'll sleep here." You now gestured towards the neatly prepared mattress next to your bed. "Thanks N/n!" The girl carefully put away her suitcase before throwing herself down onto your bed.

"Sooooo?" You sat down next to her. "How was your summer? I wanna hear everything!"

Lily looked shy for a second before beginning to talk. "I mean, it was fine... 'Cause I got to see my parents again! But Petunia kind of ruined it a bit..."

"Oh... I'm sorry Lils..." You gently placed your hand on her shoulder. "It's okay." She said reluctantly. "I'm used to it." She gave you a tiny half-hearted laugh.

"What I really want to talk about is Severus though..." She spoke silently. Severus Snape. You had begun to hate that name. He was this Slytherin-boy in your year. At first he was friends with you guys (mostly Lily), however he started to develop an unhealthy interest in the dark arts. Last year, in your 5th year, Lily had tried to talk to him about it but he called her a mud-blood. She immediately cut him off, and it wasn't until he'd realized he'd lost Lily that he apologized. That was when the two of you started to hang out with the marauders. Severus had tried to apologize multiple times afterwards, so it didn't surprise you when Lily told you that he'd kept writing her letters. They lived in the same town so he even tried talking to her but that didn't succeed either.

"That boy just won't stop trying eh?" You scoffed. "It feels so weird..." Lily added. "He has completely changed, and now he just kept trying to convince me that it was an accident. I mean, why couldn't he just get the hint and leave?"

You chuckled. "Because, Lily, I think Severus is one-hundred percent, head-over-heels in love with you. He probably realized it too late and now he's miserable."

"Well duh! Of course he's too late!" Lily replied, then sighed. "It's just weird to not hang out with him in the summer. I'll have to get used to it I guess... He was sort of my escape from Petunia, you know?"

You sent her a weak smile. "I wish we lived closer together. Then I could be your escape."

At that, Lily smiled.

"Okay, okay," She suddenly exclaimed. "New topic! Can you believe that we're actually gonna be 6th years after the summer?"

"I knoooow!" You cheered. "It's so strange! Time sure flies past eh?"

"And, soon we'll get our soulmates!" Lily looked like an exploding firework of happiness.

"Well, we'll get our soulmarks..." You added. "Who knows if we'll find our soulmates."

"Awwww don't be so pessimistic!" Lily playfully hit your arm. "Of course we'll find them!"

"Easy for you to say, you've already found James!" You joked. Lily blushed as red as her hair before answering with a; "You don't know that!"

***

"Muuum? Daaaad?" You asked curiously at dinner. "How did you guys find each other? You know, soulmark-wise." The question had been burning in your head all day, so when you were all sat down eating dinner, it finally flew out of your mouth.

"Well," Your father pulled up his right sleeve to show you a silver mark depicting a smoking potion. "It was actually rather hard." He chuckled as he treated himself to a bowl of steaming rabbit-stew. "You see, I only found her in my 7th year-"

"Excuse me?" Your mother interrupted, hands on her hips. "You found me? I think I was the one who found you!" Fleamont laughed; "You're right, love. You found me."

"I had accidentally seen his mark during potions class." Euphemia looked nostalgic as she took over the story. "It was identical to mine, and so I approached him afterwards."

"And as you already know," You father interrupted again. "You have to kiss the person with the same mark as you to see if you've found your soulmate. So naturally, I just grabbed her and kissed her as soon as I'd seen her mark."

Your mother laughed. "And as we looked down, our marks were no longer black, but silver. I still remember the day. You were so eager to tell everyone that we'd found each other..." She blushed lightly, giving your father a loving look.

"That's a nice story Mrs. Potter!" Peter smiled, mouth full of bread. "I really hate that I have to wait a whole year for mine to show up!"

"All good things come to those who wait." Fleamont spoke while giving the boy a knowing look. "I only have to wait three months." Sirius piped up with a shrug.

"So unfair!" Peter added with a childish look on his face.

________________________________________________________________________________

A/n

Remember to vote and share if you liked this chapter!

Xoxo

Septima