November 3rd 1976

"Happy 17th birthday Sirius!" You all shouted in unison as he came into the great hall. You, Lily, Peter and Remus were sitting at the end of the Gryffindor table with gifts stacked among the breakfast food.
Sirius, who was followed closely by James, had a gigantic smile plastered on his face. "So, Sirius? What's your soulmark look like?" You asked excitedly as he sat down next to you with James. "I don't know!" He exclaimed furiously, yet happily. "Why not? Weren't you born early in the morning?" Lily asked with a concerned look on her face.
"Yeah. I was born at around 3 AM in the morning. But James here," he gestured towards your twin. "Thought it would be a good idea to charm a bandage around my arm, so I can't see it until he removes it!"
You laughed. Typical James, eh?
"What?" James shrugged. "So we can see his reaction!"

It was silent. The sound of cicadas might as well have been playing.
"Well, to be honest, I think it's a great idea." Remus chimed up. "But... isn't it also something very private, and kind of unfair?"
"Not if we all do it." Peter suggested.
"Peter's right." You added. "If we all make a deal to look at them in front of the others, and not a second before, then it would be fair."
"I'm in." Lily shrugged with a smile.
"Me too." You said.
"Me too!"
"Sure."
"It was my idea, so obviously I'm in." James said with a smug look.
"I kinda have to." Sirius joked. "But I want to!"

So it was a deal. On each of your birthdays, you would wait to look at your soulmark (with the help of James' bandages) before everyone was ready.

"So, James? Can I please see my soulmark now?" Sirius groaned.
"Of course mate!" James laughed and with a flick of his wand, the bandage began to undo itself.

The white fabric rolled off of his arm to reveal a black dog, howling. Sirius looked as if it was the best thing ever as he admired it from different angles. "Woah."

"Sooo? How's it feel Padfoot?" Peter asked, looking just as fascinated as Sirius.
"It's awesome!" Sirius exclaimed. "I mean, there's no difference from before, but it's awesome!" He looked like a three-year-old in a candy shop.

"Well, that's fur-tunate." James commented, another smug look on his face.
"Paw-sitively perfect!" Remus added, already laughing.
"You know you'll have it fur-ever, right?" Peter added, making the boys laugh even more.
But why were they laughing? You and Lily had awkward eye contact for a short moment before cracking tiny smiles, still not knowing what it was that was so hilarious.

"Okay guys." Sirius tried to sound strict, but he couldn't stop his fit of laughter from continuing for a couple seconds, before it died out.

"Do you wanna help me hand out the invitations to my birthday party?"

***
November 6th 1976

The music was playing loud tunes from the enchanted gramophone, as different students from different houses (except Slytherin), were dancing in the room of requirement. Sirius had made sure that the party was up to his usual standards by supplying loads of alcohol, and
as of right now, he was dancing wildly on a couch while James cheered him on.

Remus and Peter were in the middle of a wild game of jenga, and you were sitting on a couch, sharing a bottle of firewhisky with Lily. Not an entire bottle though. The other half had been used to prank Alice somehow, curtesy of James Potter and the gang. It ended up with Alice being completely drenched in firewhisky which had been coloured a bright blue. Alice didn't seem bothered though. She just shrugged it of and partied on (after a change of clothes of course).

"I mean, can you believe it?" Lily sighed.
"What?" You had accidentally zoned out and therefore missed half of what she had been saying. The redhead sighed once more before saying, "Y/n? Have you even been listening?"
You slowly shook your head, a smile of embarrassment on your lips. "Sorry Lils..." You shrugged, the alcohol already making you too dizzy to focus.
"Oh no..." She let out, her face falling as she saw who you'd been staring at.
"Y/n, let me warn you." She put a hand on your shoulder before continuing. "You don't know who your soulmate is yet. Watch out. Please don't fall for Remus. It'll only hurt you in the end."