July 3rd 1976

"James!" You yelled. "Give me back my hairbrush!" You rushed out of the bathroom towards James, your twin, who was waving the brush teasingly at you. It was only the fourth day of your summer holiday away from Hogwarts, and James was already annoying the hippogriff out of you. "You're lucky that we're still underage or I'd have hexed you!" You yelled, trying to get it from him. Unfortunately for you, James was taller than you which gave him the advantage of being able to hold the brush above your head. "Why would you need it anyways? Your hair looks like Hagrid's beard." James smirked.

"Oh yeah?" You gave James an identical smirk before continuing. "That's brave, coming from someone who has a bird's nest on his head." At that, James dramatically put the back of his hand against his forehead.
"Ouch, that hurt Y/n. That hurt."

"James dear, give Y/n her brush back." Euphemia, your mother, came up the stairs. "Come down, breakfast is ready." At the word breakfast, James immediately dropped your brush on the floor and rushed down the stairs. "I'll be down in a second, I just have to brush my hair." You said the last part through gritted teeth, still annoyed that James had taken your brush.

***

The four of you were sitting at the table eating peacefully. Euphemia had made pancakes for you, and therefore James was stuffing his mouth with those instead of cracking weird jokes. "Have any of your friends written recently?" Fleamont, your father, asked as he straightened the newspaper in his hands. "Yeah." James spoke with his mouth full of pancakes. "Pfeter is well, he can't wait fo celebwate his sixteenf birphday." Your twin swallowed his food and continued. "Remus is okay too, but I'm worried about Sirius. He hasn't written yet."

"Relax dear, you're only four days into the holiday. He'll write soon. I'm sure."

At that, your white family owl, Minnie (or Mcgonagowl as James liked to call her), came flying through the window. She dropped three letters on your father's plate before flying over to her perch. Fleamont smiled knowingly as he gave two letters to James. One of them had a broken wax seal, so you assumed that it was from one of the marauders. The other letter, obviously a response.

Your father gave you your envelope with a grin. You quickly understood why, as you saw Lily's neat handwriting all over it in red ink saying "Don't open it if you're a marauder or I swear to Merlin I will jinx you! You've been warned."

You let out a small chuckle before breaking the wax seal to open the letter.

"Dear Y/n!

I really miss you! I know that we saw each other, like, yesterday or something, but still!

How are you? Things are not going that well at my place right now... Petunia is not living with us anymore. She has found a job and everything. Mum invited her over for dinner without telling her that I was back... Petunia did not even look at me.

I hate that it has to be like that. I am just looking forward to Hogwarts again.

Love, Lily."

"Soooo?" James popped up from behind your letter. "Did she mention me, her future soulmate?" You laughed. "Why would she mention you. You have to understand that she doesn't like you that wayyyyyyyyyy."

James blushed before returning to his letters, looking flustered.

***

You were sat at your desk, toying with the quill in your hand, considering what to tell Lily, before you finally decided to scribble some words down on your parchment.

"Hi Lily,

I miss you too!

Everything is pretty much the same here. Except, James is more annoying than ever! This morning, he took my hairbrush! He even slipped a dungbomb into my room yesterday! Also, he will not stop talking about you! It is driving me crazy. I cannot wait to see if you are actually soulmates or not. James is very confident :)