Chapter Twelve

❝rejection (pronouced rɪˈdʒɛkʃ(ə)n or ree-jek-shun), noun
the realisation that you simply will never be good enough.❞

After Hunter's tour with Taylor Swift, he found himself gaining a fanbase and recognition. He had a radio tour, his own single, and finally, he was living his dreams. He went on several other tours, not just Taylor's, and as a year passed, he began making a name for himself in the industry.

He had fallen for Lilly once more, and he knew he had fallen hard. But what sort of torture was this? He never had the guts to just say the words. Say three little words, that would bring two people together, and give one person everything he needed.

He needed her.

That was all there was to it, really.

He walked into the songwriting room again, which he had decorated grey and black, sleek and shiny, with vinyl hanging on the walls and a squishy couch leaning on one wall. In the centre of the room was a grand piano, and there were some guitars scattered here and there. Hunter smiled a little. This place was his home away from home.

"Hey," said someone, walking in. "Are you Hunter Hayes?"

"Hey, man," said Hunter, shaking his hand.

"The name's Troy. Troy Vergas," he introduced himself. "We're meant to be having a songwriting sesh today?"

"We sure are," said Hunter, smiling.

"So, any ideas?"

"Well, I find conversation gives inspiration," said Hunter. "How have you been doing?"

"I think I've been doing good," he said, smiling. "And yourself?"

"Good, good," said Hunter. Suddenly, his phone made a notification noise, and he quickly reached for it. "Sorry, I just have to-"

"No, go ahead," he said, waving Hunter off. He checked the text message quickly.

Lilly: hunter, we have a very big dilemma on our hands.

Hunter: What?

Lilly: what do you think is more worth, matte navy nail polish or a body lotion that smells like pomegranates?

Hunter: And you're asking me this because...?

Lilly: because you're my best friend and i need your opinion on this very serious matter.

Hunter: Well, I like pomegranates, but you like nail polish, so get both :D

Lilly: i can't get both!

Hunter: Sure you can. Consider the lotion a present from me.

Lilly: you sure?

Hunter: Definitely. No Christmas present for you, though.

Lilly: lol, okay XD thanks hunt.

Hunter: No problem :)

He put his phone down. "Sorry about that."

Troy smirked. "Girlfriend, huh?"

"No," he sighed. "But I'm working on it."

He looked interested. "The way you were smiling at your phone... Hunter, have you told her how you feel?"

"No..."

"Then the only way to tell her is by singing to her. Serenade her. Girls love that stuff."