Chapter Twenty-Two

❝solipsism (pronounced ˈsɒlɪpsɪz(ə)m or sol-ip-siz-uh m), noun
the belief that everything you know is a lie, ie. that everything besides yourself cannot be proven to actually exist.
eg. Solipsism makes you a part of my imagination- but the best part, I promise.❞

Lilly opened the door, and the person came in, shivering. "Gosh, you took your time. It was freezing out there."

"You've grown..."

"What did you expect, that I had shrunk?" Rose took her beanie off, shaking her titian curls out. Hunter came out and saw her, immediately crying out in joy and hugging her. "Rose!"

"Hey, Hunter," she said, smiling slightly. "I figured you'd be here. Can I talk to Lilly alone?"

Hunter frowned slightly. "O-Of course." He leaned over and gave Lilly a quick peck on the lips. "I'll be in the kitchen if you need anything, love."

"Alright," she said, staring after him and not even noticing the look of sadness on Rose's face.

"So, you two got together?" she asked plaintively.

"Only yesterday," said Lilly. "What's wrong?"

She looked down. "Mother and Father don't know I'm here. I told them I was going to see Heckstall."

"Heckstall? Why?"

"They're forcing me to marry him because you left," she whispered. A small tear escaped her eye, and she wiped it away. Her dark brown eyes met Lilly's, and Lilly found herself speechless.

"But... but I never..."

"Please," whispered Rose. "You're the only one that can help me."

"What?" she breathed.

"Come back," she said. "Come back, and you can chase their family off for good. Please, I can't do this."

Lilly sat down shakily. "I... I can't."

"But-"

"But nothing." Lilly stood up again, looking resolute. "I can't go back, not now. I have my studies, I'm turning a new page in my life-"

"You're hooking up with Hunter!" Rose said. "You can't possibly think that this is more important than your own younger sister! They want me to marry him the day I turn twenty, you don't understand!"

"No, Rosemary, you're too naïve to understand," she said. "I'm not going back."

"Who the hell are you?!" said Rose furiously. "You used to not care about the consequences. You used to tell me you'd do anything for me-"

"That was before I got disowned-"

"Got disowned?! You ran away! You left me back in Breaux Bridge with them! Do you know how much shit I've had to go through for you?!"

"What shit did you go through, huh?! You were a child, you understood nothing!"

"I'm not a child!"

"Yes you are, Rose, you're just sixteen!"

"I can't believe you!" She stood up in fury. "You're meant to be my sister. You're meant to care about me. What the hell changed?"

Lilly shook her head. "I can't go ba-"

"You coward," whispered Rose, tears falling freely from her eyes. "You bitch, you shit-faced coward."

"Rosemary June-"

"Don't you dare," she said. "Don't you f*cking dare. I'm done." She straightened herself. "I'm going back. Don't bother trying to call me. I don't need you. I don't need anyone."