Chapter Fifty-One

❝diagnosis (pronounced ˌdʌɪəɡˈnəʊsɪs or dahy-uh g-noh-sis), noun

understanding that there is a problem, or something wrong❞

Lilly steeled herself and walked into the kitchen, where Hunter was cooking breakfast. "Hey, sleep well?" he asked, pecking her on the nose. It had been two days since he had gotten back home, and Lilly had forgotten how having him around felt.

"Yeah, fine."

"Not true. You were restless again."

"Why bother asking, then?" she asked irritably, sitting down at the breakfast bar. Hunter sighed and leaned his elbows on the other side of the bench.

"You had a bad dream."

"I know, thanks for reminding me."

"Do you feel up to eating bacon and eggs?"

"No."

"What do you want then?"

"A Big Mac."

"You can't order tho-"

"I know I can't bloody order them before ten, so just shut up."

Hunter's eyebrows were raised. "Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed, then."

"Someone became a sassy little prick, then."

"Yeah, and it's not me," said Hunter, sounding slightly pissed. "What is with you today?"

She sighed. "I'm sorry. I just... I wanted to ask you something. Not doing great, as you can see."

He frowned. "What is it?"

She looked down. "Can we go and see a doctor today?"

"What for?" he asked, going to the fridge and cutting up a piece of lettuce for Apollo. "Is something wrong?"

She took a deep breath. "For my depression."

He stopped. "Oh."

"I was doing some research," she said. "And... it's bad for the baby. I can't let it be bad for the baby, Hunt."

Hunter sighed. "Ana, if you're gonna see a doctor, do it for yourself, not for the baby."

"I have no reason to do it for myself anymore," she said quietly. "That's why I need to see a doctor."

"You don't have to be like this, Ana," he said gently, and she sighed.

"Let's go today, alright?"

He nodded. "What time?"

"Any. Doesn't matter."

"Okay, so at like, one? I'll book an appointment."

"Got it."

He passed her a plate of bacon and eggs, and she sat there, playing with the food until he came back. "Did you eat it?"

"No."

"Why?"

"Don't feel like it."

"It's not good for you, Lil."

She waited, then frowned. "What, nothing about the baby?"

"You don't do anything just because I said it's for the baby, ever. You only do it if you yourself are concerned." He shrugged, and left the kitchen. "I'm taking a shower."

"Okay."

She felt hurt by what he'd said, but it was true. They were drifting apart, and Hunter couldn't speak to her anymore, not without her exploding at him. What was it that made it that way? Lilly hated it, but she wasn't sure how to fix it.