Chapter Ten

❝break up (phrasal version of break)
(of a couple in a relationship) part company.❞

Hunter was a nervous wreck at the table. Today, a over a year after he had come to Nashville, he would find out whether or not he would get signed. Now that he was eighteen, he was going to find out if he had gotten into the company.

There was also something he had to do... and he wasn't sure he was ready to do it.

"Morning, Hunter. Happy Birthday!" said his mother. She was trying not to show how anxious she was about this whole thing, and she wanted the best, of course. But she was still preparing herself, should the news not be what they wished for. Leo patted Hunter on the back, and he sat down shakily. Darn eighteenth birthday. He was so nervous he could barely speak.

"Presents!" said Leo. "Well, we only really got you one present."

Hunter nodded, smiling a little. "Thank you."

"Here it is," said Leo, handing Hunter a box. "Happy Birthday, son."

He opened the box and saw something amazing. Something that stopped him short.

"Car keys?" he whispered. "You got me a car?"

They smiled, and Hunter hugged them. "Thank you! Thank you so much! Where did you get the money?"

"It's just a second-hand Chevy, I managed to buff it up a little at the garage-"

Hunter hugged his father tightly. "Thank you, Dad," he said genuinely. Then, he remembered the phone call meant to come in that day, and he became nervous again.

"Eat your waffles, darl," said Lynette.

Hunter managed to give them a tiny smile, and picked at his waffles, not eating yet. He felt like he was about to vomit.

Suddenly, the phone rang, and everyone jumped. Hunter let it ring about four times, not moving.

"Go on," said Leo softly. "Answer it."

He could barely hold onto the phone because he was shaking so hard. "H-Hello, Hayes residence, this is Hunter speaking."

"Hunter? This is Atlantic Records."

"Uh-huh," he said.

"We'd just like to invite you to our recording company, and you can make your debut as a musician with us."

"Is that a definite answer?" asked Hunter dully, though inside he was squealing like a crazed fangirl. Leo and Lynette gave each other a look that meant, "Brace yourself for the river of tears."

The person on the other end caught on immediately. "Have you got family nearby?"

"Yes, that's right."

"Of course. Can you come in on the thirteenth?"

"That's okay."

"You're good at this," said the man on the other end, laughing. "Well, congratulations, Hunter- you're one step closer to becoming our newest country artist."

"Thank you for your time," said Hunter, before hanging up with a sad look on his face and a deep sigh. His parents looked at him sympathetically.

"You know, hon, there's a lot more in life than music," said Lynette gently.

Hunter finally broke his charade and burst out laughing. "You have so much faith in me."

Leo's mouth dropped open. "You mean-?!"

"I'm in!" he yelled, and there was an outburst of cheering. Lynette was crying as she hugged Hunter, and he was laughing in sheer disbelief. His life was changed forever by that one phone call.