Chapter Thirty

❝prepare (pronounced prɪ'pɛər or pri-pair), verb
to get ready for all hell to break loose.❞

Thanksgiving was a week after their exchange, and both Hunter and Lilly were getting increasingly nervous, though for two very different reasons. Finally, it was the day of Thanksgiving itself, and Hunter woke up to an empty bed. It was still about three am, and Lilly had no reason to be awake.

"Petal?" he called softly.

When he heard no answer, he went to the kitchen, where he heard Lilly shuffling around and realised she was sleepwalking again. "I have to be prepared, they won't like it messy," she mumbled, picking up a toaster and placing it in the sink. Hunter took it back out and took her arm gently. "C'mon, petal, back to bed," he said gently, and she followed him.

"It's cold," she said, sounding forlorn, and Hunter hugged her, cocooning them in the bedsheets.

"Is that better?"

"Yeah," she mumbled, still sleepwalking, Hunter assumed. "I'm scared they won't like you."

"Why not?"

"Because you're incredible, and I love you, but you're still not rich enough in their eyes... I mean, I would live in a cardboard box with you if it meant I would be with you."

His heart lifted slightly. "Yeah?"

"Mmm," she said, sighing. "Promise you'll try and make a good impression, Hunt."

This didn't sound like her usual sleepwalking. "Are you awake?"

"I'm not sure... is there a painting of a giraffe behind you?"

Hunter checked. "No."

"I think I'm asleep."

He chuckled. "I promise. Now sleep, Ana. We have a big day ahead."

She didn't answer, so Hunter realised she had fallen asleep.

Approximately three hours later, Lilly woke up for real. She looked over at Hunter, thinking about how young he looked, before climbing out of bed and making herself some green tea.

Nervous wasn't the word. It was more like full-blown terror. Her parents would judge, berate, and insult her, and she knew Hunter wouldn't be able to stand it. She had seen with her own eyes how angry Hunter got when people said she was ugly or fat or whatever else. Thanks to Hunter, she no longer thought of herself that way, but she had no idea what her parents might say to put her back in that dark place of her mind again.

"Lilly?"

She jumped, dropping her spoon, and Hunter put his hands up. "Hey, it's just me. Why're you awake so early?"

"I dunno," she said. "Couldn't sleep."

"You were sleepwalking last night, you haven't done that for a while. Are you okay?"

She sighed, shaking her head. "I'm worried about how tonight is gonna go down."

"I know, me too," said Hunter, and Lilly looked surprised. He cracked a smile. "What, surprised that I'm nervous to meet the parents?"

"No, I just... you're handling it much better than I am," she said. Noticing the look on his face, she frowned. "Are you okay?"

"I guess so."

She pursed her lips. She was full aware that his self-esteem issues were coming back to haunt him, and she needed him to be strong. "Hunt, remember your motto?"

"It's what you do with fear," he mumbled.

"Say it louder."

"It's what you do with fear," he said, louder this time, and a sliver of true confidence in his voice.