Chapter 43

"Tried to keep you close to me,
But life got in between
Tried to square not being there
But think that I should have been

Hold back the river, let me look in your eyes
Hold back the river, so I
Can stop for a minute and see where you hide
Hold back the river, hold back"

- James Bay (hold back the river)

Abbie's POV -

"Thank you so much for giving Luke and I a second chance" I said to my manager as he walked me out of his office.

"Yes well, just be sure that it doesn't happen again. If it does I will not refrain from firing you both" he warned in a stern voice.

"I will expect you both here on Monday morning and you will both have to work a triple shift" he finished before shutting his office door on me.

"Alrighty then" I muttered to myself as I continued down the corridor. After a lot of explaining and begging my manager agreed to give Luke and I our jobs back, even through he was very reluctant.

I walked back into the main restaurant and stood next to Dylan, who was waiting for me.

"Well?" He asked.

"We still have the jobs" I said with a smile and he smiled in reply, intwined our hands and lead me out of the restaurant.

"So, what are you going to do for work" I asked when we got outside.

He glanced at me and shrugged his shoulders.

"I dunno, I still have a few loose ends that I have to tie up before I can move on from my last job" he said whilst pressing the button in order for us to cross the road.

"What was your old job?" I questioned.

"It was...uh.. never mind" he said "hey, are you hungry? Cause that meeting went on for a few hours and our date is a few miles away so if you want, we could get something to eat before we go" he finished and glanced at me.

"Uhh....sure" I said and he smiled, completely ignoring my attempts to try and get him to talk about his previous work.

-----

After Dylan and I ate some lunch we walked to the taxi station and waited for a taxi.

"So, where are we going?" I asked Dylan.

"Somewhere" he said whilst draping his arm over my shoulder.

"Yeah" I rolled my eyes "I gathered that, could you be a bit more specific?" I pestered.

"No, I want it to be a surprise" he smirked down at me and I sighed in fake annoyance.

"Here" Dylan said as he held the taxi door open for me and then slid in after me.

"Please may you drop us off here?" Dylan asked the taxi driver and handed him a piece of paper. The taxi driver nodded and started to drive.

Dylan moved quickly and tried to put the piece of paper on his pocket.

"No peaking" he chuckled when he saw that I was trying to read the address.

I rolled my eyes jokingly and he placed his hand in mine. I sighed in content as I watched the scenery wiz past the windows, It looked like we were driving out of the city.

"You look tired" Dylan commented and I looked up and caught his gaze.

"Gee thanks" I said sarcastically.

"No" he reasoned "not like that, all I'm saying is that it's a long way to our date destination and I wouldn't be offended if you went to sleep"

"Really? Won't you get bored?" I asked and bit my lip. His eyes flickered down to my lips and he looked away from me slightly.