Chapter 1 - The Call

Nyla

(Dreaming)

I wake up to an evening night, I look to the sky, it was full of stars and the moon was full. The sky was so big and bright, you can almost touch it. I looked around some more then realized that I'm in the middle of the forest. I continued to look around, I touched my hair and noticed that my curly brown hair is out. It was free and loose down my back. I was wearing a long white summer dress and I was barefoot.

As I walked through the forest and noticed what looked like a river and walked towards it. 'So familiar, I think I've been here before.' I said to myself.

Once I reached the river, I bend down to see my reflection, then I hear a noise, more like howling. I wanted to run away, but I walked into the direction of the noise. I felt this feeling inside me, telling me to go to it, so I follow it. The sound gets louder and louder as I walk even closer towards it. It sounds so sad.

I finally walk to the edge of the forest, leading to a bright open meadow. There I see a wolf, a very large black wolf howling. Part of me was telling me to run before it sees me, but my body won't let me. I stand there for a moment trying to wrap my mind around what I am seeing. Yet the wolf spots me. 'Oh, shit it sees me', I thought.

'Oh, why don't I run for the life of me?' I said to myself.

The more I look at the wolf I felt calm, I wasn't afraid of it and I also believed that this wolf has no intention of harming me.

The wolf comes closer to me and I slowly move forward towards it. Once up close I stand still as the wolf starts to smell me, then our eyes met. He had the most beautiful golden gray eyes that I've ever seen. Then I heard it called me something.

"Mate." The wolf said, or maybe it was the wind.

"Huh?" I said. I was floored, wolves can't talk right?

"Don't be afraid. I've been waiting for you." The wolf said again.

The wolf steps even closer to me than howls with approval and I crack a smile, in the realization. This wolf wasn't howling, it was calling for someone and I happened to answer it's call, but to what?

(End of Dream)

"Hey Nyla, wake up were going to be landing soon." Aunt Janice said.

"Okay." I said, rubbing my eyes.

I thought to myself 'Damn I've been having the same dream for almost a year now. What does it mean? And why did that wolf kept calling me mate?'

45 minutes later

"Nyla, Nyla over here!" Linda said waving her hands, trying to get my attention.

         I run over to her with my bags just screaming with excitement and hugged her.

"Crow!" I yelled out.

"Heifer!" Linda yelled out. "And will you stop calling me that."

"Hell no! Omg it's been so long!" I said hugging her.

"Too damn long, like a few months." Says Linda smiling. I turned to see Linda's mother, who's my other aunt.

"Hey Aunt Evelyn." I waved.

"Oh, Nyla and Janice it's good to see you again." Aunt Evelyn said as she hugs us both.

"So where are we heading to?" I asked.

"Our place, we don't live far... Well maybe like an hour." says Linda.

"Okay, cool." I said sarcastically, well semi- sorta serious. Jesus we're gonna be out in the sticks.