T W E N T Y T W O ~ Lana Clarke

© an affiniteas 2012-2013 ink on Wattpad

T W E N T Y T W O ~ Lana Clarke

 "Dad? Someone's here to see you," I softly called out.

 We found Dad lying peacefully on the hospital bed with his eyes shut. A little unsure if this was bad timing, relief soon took over once I saw his eyes gradually open at the sound of my voice. Gazing up at Eli by my right, he grinned with ease. The two of us were more than glad to see Dad awake. 

 As we stepped closer to Dad's bedside, I hoped that Eli wouldn't be affected by the drastic change of appearance in Dad. Even I was shocked to find Dad much weaker than this morning before I left for work.

 Now that I got a full glance at Dad, his skin was paler while his usual bright, blue eyes were now tired. What scared me most was catching his uneven breathing more frequently now. Why was this happening to him? Trying my best to show no fear, I felt Eli gently place his hand on my back shortly. Having Eli here with me helped greatly seeing Dad in this condition.

 A smile stretched on Dad's lips as the monitor beside him beeped in rhythm. Dad's voice was filled with as much energy he could express. 

 "Hey, you two. How are you, Eli?" 

 Having his attention on Dad, I unconsciously observed the two as they spoke. Despite Dad experiencing problems with his breathing, despite Dad being in a hospital bed, the interaction between Dad and Eli never changed. Both would exchange jokes which made me join in the laughter. As the two conversed, Eli's deep brown eyes would make their way towards mine every now and then. He gave me a comforting smile which settled my anxious heart. 

 Being on the rooftop with Eli was what I really needed. When Eli hugged me, that was the best response I could possibly ask for. The way he held me carefully in his arms caused me to let go of all the stress that was building up inside me. Dad's current state was scaring me. Showing my weak side was the last thing I wanted, but I truly felt like I was able to let my guard down in front of Eli.

 Eli had placed his hands in his front pockets and gave Dad a motivating grin. 

 "Mr. Clarke, let's keep fighting, okay?" His voice shifted jokingly, "This was supposed to be a surprise, but there's still that county fair we all got to go to."

 Listening, I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed that our plans this weekend were canceled. I was actually counting down the days to when Eli and I were going to surprise my family to the OC County fair. But, this wasn't the time to be thinking about that. The doctors needed Dad to stay in the hospital for a few days, and possibly, weeks. 

 More than anything though, I wanted Dad to recover.

 Dad let out a weak chuckle at Eli's words. A heartwarming expression grew across Dad's face as he replied, "Did you hear that, Lana? Guess I need to get out of here as soon as possible."

 The three of us laughed together, filling the room with joy. They never failed to lift the atmosphere. For a moment, everything felt okay. I was really grateful to have Eli here. I probably wouldn't be able to handle the situation alone. Sometimes, my fears and concern would get the best of it. Dad didn't need any of that. Right now, he needed a positive atmosphere.

 "Aw, you won't believe it. Visiting hours are coming to a close," a voice suddenly entered in the room.

 Eli and I turned around, but I already knew it was Landon. 

 "Where were you?" I questioned lightly, saddened by the news.

 Landon simply answered by lifting a canned drink and water bottles in hand. Landon and Eli greeted one another before he handed us both a water bottle. After thanking Landon, I wasn't too surprised. My brother could never go on about a day without a can of his favorite orange soda. While Landon asked Dad if he needed anything before we leave, Dad shook his head and reassured all of us that he was racing down the highway of recovery.