F O U R ~ Lana Clarke

© an affiniteas 2012-2013 ink on Wattpad

 F O U R ~ Lana Clarke

 Even if I promised Olette I wouldn't throw my guard up tonight, Elliot Wesley just tried to kiss me!

 Call it a natural reflex, but once I opened my eyes, my right hand already flung itself across Eli's cheek.

 This outing was good so far. I enjoyed the dinner we had, the small talk, seeing Eli try to win at that pointless game stand — I think that was my favorite part — but I wasn't expecting this sudden attempt to kiss me! Who did he think he was? I was here, just trying to tell him what I thought and liked about the beach we shared, and he decided to throw his lips at me once I turned to look at him.

 So much for a day "to catch up from high school".

 Was this what he told all the girls?

 Letting my hand drop, my eyes were held wide open. "What was that about!"

 Eli immediately held onto his slapped cheek, making a light hissing sound. Guilt suddenly ran through me and I sighed. Followed by my outburst, I slid in an apology, but he shook his head. Eli was still holding onto his cheek.

 "No. It's all on me. You're right — that was completely uncalled for and it won't happen again."

 I didn't know if he said that because he realized he was wrong or if he was scared I'd slap him again. Did I even slap him that hard? I couldn't forget the fact that it was different. Ever since we've been at the pier, I felt like I was the one doing all the talking and Eli was just spacing out — I know he wants to study aerospace, but this wasn't the right time. Was he still upset about losing? It really didn't matter. Maybe that slap was a good wake up call. Eli continuously rubbed his cheek until it appeared to look okay. His dark brown eyes gazed up at me and shook in panic.

 "That — I didn't mean to do that. Can we forget what just happened?"

 Good idea.

 Nodding my head, I told him that I was sorry for the sudden outburst — even though he shouldn't have showcased those lips of his near my face like that. Eli never even answered my first question to begin with. When he eventually seemed to have shaken the whole incident off, he laughed sheepishly. We both stood by the shore as the soothing waters gently touched our exposed feet.

 Through this moment of silence, the question never left my mind. Why, of all things, did Eli decide to kiss me? Eli never — I repeat — never looked my way during high school. He was one of the star athletes at our school, he had all the girls going crazy for him, he had friends that circled around him all the time... it was driving me a little nuts.

 Shouldn't Eli be spending his summer with them — not me? Even though we "pretended" this never happened, I knew it was bothering us both. We just didn't have the guts to mention it again. Letting those thoughts go, I realized it was getting late and began to worry if Dad and Landon ate some dinner yet.

 Running my fingers through my hair, I suggested, "Hey Eli, it's been an... interesting day, but it's getting pretty late."

 Eli turned to face me, but he held those dark brown eyes somewhere else as if he couldn't look at me in the eyes anymore. Understanding my hint, Eli grinned loosely.

 "Sure, I'll take you home. What happened earlier... I just want to say sorry again."

 "What happened?"

 Eli did ask to forget what happened — why should he bring it up again?

 Realizing what I did, Eli gave me a smile in return. And seeing that smile and the way that dimple on his cheek appeared, threw me off. I was positive that all the girls would claim Eli Wesley as the best looking at our school. I think it was mainly because of his smile that won girls over.