Eli Wesley - N I N E T E E N

© an affiniteas 2012-2013 ink on Wattpad

Eli Wesley - N I N E T E E N 

 No one wants to face the interruption of a confession.

 I was so close. So close. All the courage to tell Lana how I felt was going to take over like a surfer riding a huge tidal wave. Except that tidal wave got the best of that surfer, and that surfer just had to be me. Was it just bad timing? The moment Lana's bright blue eyes shifted away from mine, I knew something was up. The thing was, I wasn't expecting Olette and Lana's brother to be the reason why. That actually shocked me too, so I couldn't exactly blame the world for ruining the moment. To be honest, I was just as curious.

 Suggesting to play investigator, we sort of interrupted the two. I could already tell that both weren't just meeting up as friends. Their clothes were way too polished. After the slightly awkward confronting, Olette had dragged Lana away from Landon and me. The shocked expression on Lana's face told me she didn't want to leave us behind, but I was positive Olette need a place to explain — privately — especially with this kind of case. 

 It's funny how Lana and I went through a day of just having fun to unraveling an unintentional mystery.

 Would it be weird to say that I sort of figured this was coming?

 As much as Olette tried denying it to the guys and me during the time we were prepping up Lana's birthday surprise, there were too many obvious hints that indicated she liked Landon more than a best friend's brother. I felt like some detective, but I had to stop myself from prying. I didn't even know Landon or Olette that well to begin with.

 Being stuck together at the moment, Landon had decided to start some small talk. The guy was all dressed up and ran a hand through his light brown hair that was styled up. I couldn't believe my blood use to curdle just hearing Landon's name mentioned. Now, I was there standing right by him. A sideways grin grew on Landon's matured face.

 "Wasn't really expecting to bump into you guys."

 "Lana didn't tell you she was going to the beach?"

 Landon shook his head a little. "No. Well, I don't think she did unless I wasn't paying attention."

 We shared a laugh shortly until it eventually died out, leaving us both to silence. Tess and Irene's gossiping selves must have rubbed onto me the time we ran into them during the carnival.

 I spat out unconsciously, "You and Olette, huh?"

 Good job keeping things subtle, Eli.

 "Yeah." A closed grin appeared before Landon murmured, "I know what you're thinking."

 My eyes widened. "You do?"

 I wasn't thinking of anything, really.

 Landon released a sigh as the same colored blue eyes the Clarke's shared settled towards my way. "I know I was dating Haley, but before you think I'm moving too fast, you have to hear me out."

 Cringing mentally at the thought of Haley, I felt hot and nervous all of a sudden. Did Landon know about Haley's relationship with me? The last time I saw Landon and Haley together was when the guys and I almost got caught at the party store. That was only a few weeks ago. However, I kept a straight face and pointed out that there was no need to explain even if a part of me was curious about how Haley and Landon decided to split. My past self would have been jumping for joy hearing this.

 I waved my hands out. "It's cool. If you're going for Olette, you'll make her happy."

 Lana's older brother stared at me, almost a little perplexed at my beaming confidence. That's what triggered my palms to reach a sweaty state. Why did it seem like Landon was staring into my soul? It's a little creepy, if you ask me. After a pause, Landon's face grew at ease and he released a smile.