T E N ~ Lana Clarke

© an affiniteas 2012-2013 ink on Wattpad

 T E N ~ Lana Clarke

 "I'm so excited for my party! Thanks for helping me out, Lana."

 The two of us sat by the granite counter top island of our kitchen. Haley came over to talk about her party plans with me. She needed a girl's perspective to back up her ideas, so Landon wouldn't be much of help then. Even though I thought Haley had her girlfriends to help her decide, it was a little too late to object since she showed up our porch steps this morning when Landon left for the auto shop.

 She twirled her soft, blonde hair between her fingers, focused on the pictures she printed out. "This is going to be the party of the summer! It's perfect that my parents own a beach house, right?"

 I nodded, hoping to show some kind of enthusiasm successfully. "You don't have to thank me. I'm glad to help."

 Haley giggled before deciding which Tiki torch would be a better choice. She settled her crisp, hazel eyes on me.

 "I just thought I'd give you a heads up, but Landon was telling me he's worried about you! He said that you wouldn't feel — how should I say this — comfortable at my party? He's so silly!"

 The sad thing was, Landon was actually right.

 Putting on a smile, I went along with it. "Yeah, he worries too much. I'll be fine."

 Shaking her head, Haley suggested, "You can always bring someone along and don't worry, I'm not expecting gifts from them." She giggled once more as her lips curved with interest. "Landon also told me you're seeing someone! You should totally bring him!"

 Bring Eli to Haley's party? They were friends in high school, weren't they? That might not be a bad idea. As I thought about it, Haley then asked who exactly was this "someone".

 "It's Elliot Welsey from our high school," I admitted nonchalantly.

 The moment I revealed it was Eli, there was something that changed in Haley's expression. She was smiling like always, but her eyes flickered intensely, hearing the sound of Eli's name. That was what it looked like. Then again, I was probably observing things way too much. She must have noticed me studying her expression.

 Haley broke the silence, becoming back to herself. "Eli, huh? I haven't heard from him in a while actually. Anyways, you should definitely bring him, girl. It'll be fun."

 "Are you sure? It's your party after all. I'll really be okay," I insisted politely.

 It was unnecessary for people to have to worry about me.

 "Lana! Of course I'm sure. If you still don't believe me, do it as a present and so Landon doesn't have to worry, okay?" Haley batted her eyes, showing her bright smile at me.

 In defeat, I nodded in agreement and Haley appeared happier than usual. Did she want me to bring someone along that badly? It was true that I didn't really socialize during high school, but that didn't mean I didn't know how to! I guess it was fine though.

 It would be nice if Eli could come. But, that was if he could. Wait a second. What was I thinking?

 After three hours of party deciding, Haley made up her final decision and soon headed out to get everything prepared for this weekend. Wishing her the best, Haley gave me a big hug for the help even though I wouldn't say I really helped. I gave my opinion once or twice. Most of the time I just agreed with her choices. Not like her choices were bad in the first place.